Sinister: My wayward reasoning

PKHINTZ PKHINTZ at xxx.com
Sat Jan 24 19:41:54 GMT 1998

   Today I went to the mall to pick up my first pair of glasses.  I put them
on after leaving the store; my depth perception was a bit skewed.  I bumped
into people and things until I found myself at a record store.  It was the one
where I bought "If You're Feeling Sinister" back around 12 May.  I had had a
gift certificate to the store from my sister; I was forced to purchase the
overpriced CDs.  I felt guilty shopping there even though I was not even
spending my own money.  I thought I  would probably like the record--I had
been hearing how amazing it was for months on other pop! mailing lists and the
cover was beautiful--I bought it.  When I listened to the album at home the
song "Seeing Other People" was the first one to make my insides feel like they
were being twisted around (though in turn each song has done that).  My
parents had been talking to me about their concerns of my "sexual identity" (I
still do not understand why they were worried); that song made me feel like I
would just cry.  Consequently, I voted very highly for that song.  Another
song I gave a high score was "Belle and Sebastian" largely due to the line
"...Sebastian wrote in his diary that/He would never be young again/But you
will".  The timelessness of life--of your own person--age is what you make of
it, at least that is what I thought of it.  In early September I took a rest
from reading of dead Romans, laid on my back in Regents Park, under the sun
before its annual cool, and listened to the song over and over.  So this is
life, I thought.  "Expectations" was elected to the top of my charts also.
Oh, not just the horrors of high school, but of other people and life in
general, kicking, or looking up your skirt, when you are down; the power of
music to calm and help us commiserate and empathise with others about the
horrid parts of life.  And those are just a few reasons why I voted the way I
did.

	Living and loving
	Matthew