Sinister: manics, not much b&s.

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Wed Jan 28 17:25:37 GMT 1998

> Never understood the manics, can't understand how such a pants band
> who
> essentially sound like Foreigner with pretentious 6th form lyrics made
> it so
> big.

no-one more surprised than me when i saw them on the covers of real
music papers back in the day... no-one more pleased for them too maybe,
though i dunno.  looking back tho it is something which although
surprises me i can understand; there was a real sense of obsessiveness
about them, especially richey, and that feeling connected with a lot of
people.  I didn't rate their music ever, and never read enough of the
lyrics to comment, but i was genuinely excited by what Richey said, and
about the sorts of obsessions we shared, like Rimbaud and Plath.  It's
those things that made them and him special... which shows that to lots
of people it's not just about music.  And if you were a 6th former into
poetry i think you'd probably relate to what they wrote and sang
about... can't comment too much because it's a long time since i was a
6th former writing poetry...

and i know it's maybe sad, but i bought the NME today because of the
richey thing, and i still get tearful when i think about the whole deal,
but hey... there's things that so many people in the media just don't
seem to get, so what the hell.

and the B&s connection?  well i think that to a lot of people Stuart's
lyrics will seem like wet 6th form whimsy, and they will fail to
understand just what it is we are all getting so obsessively devotional
about.  They will continue to prefer their radiohead and Manics records,
and of course that is their choice, and although it is the wrong choice,
it's the way of Pop. Long may it continue.

keep the faith,

the duke
--
Tangents On-Line http://www.virtual-pc.com/tangent/