Sinister: I've got no enthusiasm to even answer the phone...

Keith Watson keith at xxx.uk
Thu Jan 29 13:32:46 GMT 1998

>> Just been watching the NME Brat awards show on Channel 4
>> Arab Strap are absolute shite!!!
>> Their set consisted of one fat Scottish bloke sitting on a stool and
>> SAYING crap lyrics and then a pointless, non melodic crappy chorus of
>> plain old guitars
>> As I heard in "DreamTeam" yesterday....
>> "What a bunch of strokers"

Only time I saw Arab Strap was supporting B+S at the Moir Hall (in
Manchester I was too busy drinking to watch them), and the main problem to
me was that you couldn't hear what was going on, not a misunderstanding
problem (I lived in Falkirk for 6 years - believe me, his accent's very posh
compared to what it could've been), the guitar was all out of tune too which
didn't help. I don't think they're bad, but I don't think they're that good
either, I do think they get a disproportionate amount of press for what they
are, I don't know how they're going to sustain interest just doing that sort
speaky over guitar chord stuff.
    Having said that, their remix of David Holmes' "Don't Die just Yet" is
brilliant, and by far and away the best thing they've done, reminds me of De
la Soul. "The Clearing" I thought I liked until I realised i was playing it
at the wrong speed, and playing it at the correct speed seemed to dullen it
a bit. I do like Mogwai though, I think they'd be even better if they did
collaborations with singers perhaps, as again, I think it'd be pretty tricky
to continue much longer just doing the same thing.
    Another Glasgow band who seem to have been very much overlooked in the
recent cases of overexposure are Long Fin Killie, who make a dead nice Bark
Psychosis-esque noise which is really good, Luke's voice is amazing,
although unfortunately they've just split up.

Keith.

Also, the person who was talking about A Century of Elvis.. I don't doubt
for a second this was heavily inspired by Arab Strap.

Which brings me on to another point, are B+S really all acting members of
the T.A.? :)