Sinister: It's like thunder. And lightning. The way you love me, it's frightening.

Tag mctag at xxx.com
Fri Jan 30 19:04:13 GMT 1998

Hmm,

Been a bit quiet this week.  What was all that age game bollocks?
Today's was OK though.  And so, without further ado...

J.B.Hunt wrote

>Jeez, I've just been through the archive, and noticed that B+S and
>Peanuts have already been discussed in excelsis. Doh. So sorry for
>the previous witter.

Hey, what a nice man!

>Ho hum. If anyone in Ayrshire feels down after Blind Date and Family
>Fortunes on a Saturday, you should visit the Attic nightclub in
>Irvine. Not only is it very reminiscent of a school disco with lots
>of snogging and crisps,

Wahey!!!  I went to an ace club in Finland which was like a school
disco, only cool - they played 'Stoned love' and 'Knock on wood' and
'Deep' by East 17 AND Serge Gainsbourg (all ace records), and at the
end everyone smooched to 'Forever Young' by Alphaville, which, I am
not ashamed to say, is a top Euro classic.  Yes, my perfect club!

Ricky Tikki Tavi Northy wrote:

>I ordered my poster on Monday and got it on Wednesday so the people
>at VinylTap are pretty quick.
>
>Poster is brill and hanging up as the pride of my room but it does
>come folded and not in a proper poster sender so it has crease marks
>:(

Oh, god!  That's just awful.  Can we all rally round?  A benefit gig,
something like that.

>Peace Man

And you brother.

>Arab Strap are absolute shite!!!

Witty, pithy, and incisive.

>Their set consisted of one fat Scottish bloke sitting on a stool and
>SAYING crap lyrics and then a pointless, non melodic crappy chorus of
>plain old guitars

Fat Scottish blokes are bastards aren't they?  Should have slaughtered
the lot of them at Culloden.  They've got funny accents too.

Aya wrote

>If you are cool boy and have flat in London and Paris,
>Second house in LA with great swimming pool,
>AND living in Amsterdam, You can get special LOVE from me!! ; - ) Haha~

You've been spying on me, haven't you?

Katrina wrote

>ooh, watch the backlash northy ... quick tag, protect him!

With my life, if necessary.

Serious bit...

Tim wrote

> 1. B&S do represent something of a return to guitar pop for me, after a
> while away...so for me they say exactly that geetar music is still worthy
> of attention (though I would prefer to say guitar music can still sound
> fucking brilliant and make me laugh and cry...)

I totally agree.  I was talking to someone else about this, about how
B&S are the first guitar band in years who are capable of combining
humour and beauty since, dare I say it the Go Betweens.

> 2. pop is (or can be) all about positioning yourself, for and against,
> what's wrong and right. But I have to say that B&S are a way to say that
> guitar music can still be beautiful and subtle and (shhh...) touching
> without succumbing too much to traditional roccknroll business bullshit
> and, in particular, laddish boor-rock.

The same person I had the discussion above with said pop is everything
he loves and everything he doesn't like isn't pop.  It's simplistic
but I don't think any other definition will do.

> Where I disagree is that I think B&S, if they relate to anything else
> musical at all, are all about the world of indiepop...

No.  No.  I really don't like this.  Why should they 'relate' to
anything?  Their beauty is that they have captured far more than the
hearts of a faithful indiebopper crowd.  Indie is a word I truly
despise, it's so damn limitting There's nothing wrong with
independence, but it's an attitude, not just a lazy banner.  How many
unimaginative worthy but dull bands fall under that category?

Tim then went on to say they didn't relate to electronic music, which
is almost certainly true, but so what?  I don't see them flying the
flag for anything, other than great fucking records, which give me a
rush and make me want to get up in the morning.  And Ann Sexton, the
last All Saints single, Francoise Hardy and Etienne de Crecy all do
that too.

I suspect Tim knows this too, but I really don't want Belle and
Sebastian being put into any cosy indie category, because they're
better than that.  Aren't they?

Did anyone see that thing about Richey Manic in the Melody Maker?
Talk about gutter journalism.

Fuck, I missed the Simpsons.

All the love you can eat,
Tag xxx