Sinister: Musings...

Stuart Gardiner skg21 at xxx.uk
Fri Jan 30 19:02:58 GMT 1998

Someone said a couple of days ago that they thought B&S fans fell into 2
camps, obscure indiepoppers or Manics/Suede types. I've been thinking
about this, and I reckon the vast majority of people on this list seem to
fall into just one category; that our musical tastes are eclectic. When we
find some music we like, we'll buy it and listen to it; it doesn't matter
what type of music it is. After all, that's probably how most of us got
into B&S in the first place. Personally my taste in music would appear
pretty random to a lot of people (Dweeb but not Bis, Catatonia but not
Sleeper, Carter USM but not Red Hot Chilli Peppers etc); but the fact is
that that was the music that did something for me at a time. I've often
suprised people (and even sometimes myself) by liking some band or other
unexpectedly; and I'm sure that's why I don't think I've ever met anyone
with exactly the same taste as me. I expect most other people on this list
are the same; our taste is so varied that it is impossible to define. We
are the people that the major labels and the music press, with their love
of pigeonholing every band into a suitable genre, must hate, because they
can't predict what we're going to like. And neither can we.

On another matter, this business of basically talking over an instumental
track isn't unique to Arab Strap by any means. Pulp have made it one of
their trademarks, and even Blur have done it (with some success) on Essex
Dogs. It may not have a name yet (any suggestions?) but it is easy to see
it becoming as popular in the future as rapping has become over the last
ten years or so. I very much doubt if Century Of Elvis will remain a
one-off.

The Tall Git