Sinister: Musings...

Richard Anderson R.J.Anderson at xxx.uk
Sat Jan 31 10:08:31 GMT 1998

Stuart Gardiner wrote:
> Someone said a couple of days ago that they thought B&S fans fell into 2
> camps, obscure indiepoppers or Manics/Suede types. I've been thinking
> about this, and I reckon the vast majority of people on this list seem to
> fall into just one category; that our musical tastes are eclectic. When we
> find some music we like, we'll buy it and listen to it; it doesn't matter
> what type of music it is. After all, that's probably how most of us got
> into B&S in the first place.

	I totally agree. I like BRA, Marylin Mansun, Hootie &TB, and many
others and don't care what anybody else thinks.

> On another matter, this business of basically talking over an instumental
> track isn't unique to Arab Strap by any means. Pulp have made it one of
> their trademarks, and even Blur have done it (with some success) on Essex
> Dogs. It may not have a name yet (any suggestions?)

 I've always called it speak-a-pop and it has been done by loads of
people before.  Theres a couple of cool examples on the Abuse Your
Freinds album sampler.  A b-side on the new Strangelove single is
apparently patrick reading his diary (aloud :o) over a moody backing.
They did this before with the excelent track "Ghost Haddock" on the
Beautiful Alone single.

	Richard Anderson.