Sinister: Manic Street Belle and Sebastian?

A.M. Horne amh20 at xxx.uk
Sat Jan 31 11:49:57 GMT 1998

> I got talking to my French teacher at Open Evening the other day. I had
> written a quote in French by Sartre on the board as examples of what
> languages you learna t newman bla bla. We got to talking about Camus. I
> said that I couldn't afford a copy of the Outsider, and the Library
> didn't have it. So Stuart goes, Oh, I've got loads, you cn have one! I
> think yipee!
>
> Lucky me now has a copy of L'etranger. Fully in French.
>
> Its bloody hard enough to read in English!
>
> But I'm getting through it. I neeed a better french dictionary though.

i know how you feel: we started it at school in the 4th form, then
abandoned it, but i kept my copy and made abortive attempts to read it in
french for a couple of years or so, painfully slowly, before finally
giving up and reading it in english: then, a few years later, doing the
tragedy paper as an undergraduate, did a whole load of camus (plague /
rebel / sisyphus). wonderful. the fall is superb as well.

b&s content: nil

level of general interest: pretty much the same as above

cheerio,

alastair