Sinister: Musings...

André Vieira alerche at xxx.net
Sat Jan 31 13:23:35 GMT 1998

The Tall Git/ Stuart Gardiner wrote:

>On another matter, this business of basically talking over an instumental
>track isn't unique to Arab Strap by any means. Pulp have made it one of
>their trademarks, and even Blur have done it (with some success) on Essex
>Dogs.

Talking over an instumental track isn't new at all - and I'm sure it goes
way before the Arab Straps or Pulp.  From my limited music knowledge (and
please correct me if I'm wrong), the first song that used this technique
was The Velvet Underground's "The Gift" (from the album "White Light/White
Heat").  John Cale reads the story on one side
of the recording and the band plays on the other.  So if you adjust the
balance of the stereo, it's possible to listen only to the story, only to
the music, or to both of them at the same time.

"The Gift" is, in my opinion, the best "narrative song" ever made - from
the haunting first verse ("Waldo Jeffers had reached his limit") to its
breath-taking end ("through the middle of the package, through the middle
of the masking tape, through the card- board, through the cushioning and...").

By the way, how many of you in the list are also Velvet lovers?

Andre (a Brazilian B&S and VU lover).