Sinister: Not Rick's big sister

Michael Jones tourajsig2 at xxx.com
Wed Jul 1 12:12:36 BST 1998

Saw the oddest thing in WHSmith at Victoria station this morning.  A
man in a fairly advanced state of shabbiness and some months from his
last bath, steadfastly refusing to budge from his position crouched in
front of the music mags, flicking through 'The Wire' with what sounded
like The Beach Boys blaring from his Walkman.  Stencilled on the back
of his filthy jacket was something like 'The Complete Godlike Genius
And Beauty Of Virginia Astley', and his similarly soiled bag bore the
legend, 'World's Biggest Virginia Astley Fan'.  I think I've seen
everything now.

For younger readers, Ms Astley was a member of the Ravishing Beauties
in the early 80s and had a brief solo career of gentle pop (I have a
1982 single, 'Love's A Lonely Place To Be') and the occasional
collaboration (David Sylvian featured somewhere).  I'm sure there's a
Frazier Chorus connection - Kate St John, perhaps ?

Do other London residents know of this man ?  Is he famous ?  Is his
obsession with an obscure indie chanteuse of yesteryear a contributory
factor in his apparent demise ?  See what can happen when you get a
little *too* keen ?

Mike.