Sinister: The boy who's always dancing

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Sun Jul 5 10:12:27 BST 1998

> and I really want that sort of ghostly, synthy p!o!p! sound running through my
> head.So, if anyone has any ideas?
> Seb

the duke says go for the merritt man. stephin merritt, the only
songwriter at the moment who comes close to the murdoch man. all these m
letters. some coincidence? whatever... his recordings as the magnetic
fields (named after the andre breton surrealist writing, fact fans) are
monumentally wonderful, and all have their little quirks that make them
individual. if you like female vocals that remind you of Alison Statton
and sometimes Joni (Blue) Mitchell go for the first two LPs 'Distant
Plastic trees'/'The Wayward Bus' (on one cd). if you prefer your male
vocals sounding like Johnny Cash and Ian Curtis go for 'Get Lost' and
'Charm of The Highway Strip', the latter particularly if you go for the
Cash thing cos it has a lovely electro-country feel. He also records as
Gothic Archies, who have one minilength CD and Future Bible Heroes who
have the marvelous 'memories of Love' album and an EP. 'Lonely Days'
sounds for the all the world like it could be a Microdisney song, and
'You pretend to be the moon' just sends me. I would love to see B&S do
some merritt songs, and vice versa. Oh yeah there's also the 6ths record
'Wasps Nests', which has Merritt songs sung by lots of different
indiepop stars... Dean Wareham sings 'Falling Out Of Love (With You)'
and it makes your heart shatter.

just been playing Sinister for the first time in a while, and blow me
down, isn't it just the greatest? :-)

keep the faith,

the duke