Sinister: random b+s bits and pieces

Nick Dastoor nickdastoor at xxx.com
Mon Jul 6 09:59:46 BST 1998

kelly wrote..

> i was just curious if the line 'you'd better take a weight off of your
> mind and listen/ to what other people say/ cause things are going
> wrong your own way' is a reference to crime and punishment. i
> wouldn't think this at all probably if it wasn't for modern rock
> song's 'not as sad as dostoevsky...' line... but either way, in c+p
> one of the characters says something to the same effect (zametov?
> vidrigailov?) that 'it's better to go wrong in one's own way that to
> go right in someone else's.'

I haven't read C+P, but it sounds plausible to me, anyway. Ooh this
mailing list is *so* erudite.  I bet the influence of 19th Century
Russian literature *never* crops up on the Shed Seven list.  Is there
a Shed Seven list?  What a fantastic thing it must be.

There's also the line "Look at it this way / You could either be
successful or be US", which maybe gets at a similar thing.  Sometimes
I wilfully mishear it as "You could either be successful or be arse",
which I quite like too.

nick xx