Sinister: signs of looper things to come....

Carrick C Blair carrick44 at xxx.com
Tue Jul 7 01:27:06 BST 1998

>well, yes. breakbeats. Sort of like Arab Strap, Looper is. A nice little
story, but i much >preferred hearing Stuart's stories whilst being backed
by an instrumental version of >a future Belle & Sebastian song. Oh well,
I hope he's using this side project to get >all his break-beat urges out
of his system. I hope they don't creep into the new B&S >album at all.
That would be so trite. That is one thing that made all the Belle &
>Sebastian recordings so special up to this point. They seemed so
unaffected by >trends. There was a certain purity. I mean everybody uses
breakbeats these days.

that was part of a message i sent to a fellow listee. He encouraged me to
send it the list, fair warning to anyone who might be expecting things
like melody and hooks, or the some of the best lyrics of this decade.
But now I see the titles of the upcoming album, and my fears grow
stronger...maybe they were future Belle & Sebastian songs.....

7. Spaceboy Dream
8. Dirty Dream #2

very similar to the songs on the Looper 45. Democracy, I guess. I just
hate to have to use the skip button on my cd player. Something I was
hoping never to do with Belle & Sebastian. They were my last hope for a
perfect band. Electronic elements had been featured in songs past, but
they were few and far between, and had a certain warmth to them, and
something that Looper is sadly lacking. Its just left me cold, sorry.

I know what some of you are thinking....I'm just some loser who hangs in
my room worshiping old Byrds records, reading MOJO, and wishing I lived
in the sixties, etc., etc. And your right, well not really. I wouldn't
want to live in the 60's. I probably would have gone crazy like my dad.
But if you had been out with me last night, you would have found me in
some bar in the East Village, watching some fellow spin drumnbass, and
enjoying it.

I guess, its that lowfi electronics are all over American indie music
these days. And most of it sucks. No passion what so ever. I'd hate to
have these evil American influences sully my favorite band. No ambition.
Hardly trying.

Watching Belle & Sebastian last September in NYC, I was in constant
shivers. Everything they did was perfect. (It happened to be a good night
for them. Not shambolic at all.) It actually reminded me of a classical
recital. I just don't see how lowfi electronic beats and loops can do to
make the songs more interesting or powerful or soulful.

But who knows, maybe they'll surprise me, they have always come through
in the past.
I'll shut up now, sorry to bore you with my opinions. rather cranky
today. lack of sleep. too much drumnbass.

love
Carrick

ps Why, when flying home from London on Virgin Atlantic last March, I
heard Modern Rock Song on there little radio show? Why do they get a nice
recording of it and not the rest of us hapless fans?