Sinister: 10 Roddington Place

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Tue Jul 7 14:39:25 BST 1998

Dave wrote:

>[2] Possibly accompanied by a girl wearing totally unsuitable clothes, and
>a bright purple wig, unless I can convince her that her plan to be noticed
>by the media is COMPLETELY FUCKING STUPID!

Has Dave pulled? Is love in the air? Is that what made him write the
following?

>| BubblegumPunkPopDiscoDon'tStop
>| Make a record in your home - You don't need a studio!

You bloody well do, mate. Or at least a pressing plant. Whatever, it's great
to see Dave making the effort to keep on writing in despite being
unsubscribed. I apologise for any distress caused by my accidental
impersonation of him last week. I accept full responsibilty and won't do it
again.

I'm quite excited about the new record. One or two promising song titles on
there, and a nice informative message, the Kitchen/ House teamwork is
already reaping benefits for Jeepster Recordings' PR department.

FunkySeb, if it's drum machines and plinky plonky keyboards you're after, I
would recommend the album "Zuckerzeit" by the band Cluster. It's not from
the 80s, it's from the 70s. It's described in the book "Krautrocksampler" by
Julian Cope as sounding like the Stooges let loose in Toys 'R' Us, which I
think sums it up quite nicely. It's all instrumental, quite curious but
still very accessible. It doesn't sound much like Belle and Sebastian, but
perhaps isn't a million miles away in spirit - good clean fun with a
melancholic undertow. (9/10)

I think I must be getting on a bit because I've spent the afternoon looking
at leisurewear instead of trailing around record shops. Help get me back on
the right track - are any of the following discs worthy of investigation?
The Bosstown Sound - Various Artists, including the Rockin' Ramrods

The Knack and How to Get it - John Barry soundtrack
The Wicker Man - soundtrack

I would prefer to hear Lickle Sarah's opinions of the 80s groups mentioned
rather than the pronouncements of experts. I know it takes all sorts, but I
don't think people should feel shy about expressing themselves just because
some people manage to give a hazy impression of authority. That's not to say
the experts aren't welcome, but it would be nice to get a balance of sorts.
Besides which, Sarah knows L!O!A!D!S!

As Isaac Hayes once said: I'd like to thank you all for your patience.

Peter