Sinister: 10 Roddington Place

poetryplace2 poetryplace2 at xxx.uk
Tue Jul 7 16:47:06 BST 1998

>I think I must be getting on a bit because I've spent the afternoon looking
>at leisurewear instead of trailing around record shops. Help get me back on
>the right track - are any of the following discs worthy of investigation?
>The Bosstown Sound - Various Artists, including the Rockin' Ramrods
>
>The Knack and How to Get it - John Barry soundtrack
>The Wicker Man - soundtrack

I can recommend the soundtrack to "Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush"
which I notice has been reissued. Not only does it feature Mr Stevie
Winwood, and so is full of gritty wooden soul and all that Wellah business,
but it's also from a film set in Swinging Stevenage, and reminds me of my
innocent youth, before I was lured into the evil buckaroo den of Jasper,
Tarquin and the rest of the metrosexuals...

Ummm, I went to see Hefner on Saturday, for the last gig on their one-day,
four-stop tour of London. They were pretty good. The singer has one of those
classically bad indie voices, midway between Peters Shelley and Perrett.
They had a song about Lee Remick, which wasn't a cover of The Go-Betweens,
and another about a sexy librarian, which is always a good sign. The Lp is
being pushed as a kind of Essex answer to B&S, but it's a little
disappointing.

I expect that maybe one person on the list will be interested to know that
when REM played at that Tibet thing recently, their replacement drummer was
a bloke called Joey Waronker.

Finally a lemur update: lemur enthusiasts may be interested to know that
last issue of the august organ, Poetry News, features one of the cute little
fellas prominently on its cover, and will soon be visible at
http://www.poetrysoc.com/news/b_news.htm

Oh, and The Blue Soda Social returns this Friday... 7.30pm til late @ The
Poetry Caff, £2 to get in, films, music and hi-jinx...

Trousers
xxxxxxxx