Sinister: Didier?

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Tue Jul 7 17:16:33 BST 1998

Mark Casarotto wrote:

> Is Didier the fish a homage to the late, great grand prix/power boat
> racer Didier Pironi? He was my all time hero as a little kid, even more
> than Gilles Villeneuve who he drove alongside.

it was intended as thus... i have been toying with the idea of writing
an article on my ten favourite f1 drivers recently, so that's probably
why the name sprung to mind. that and because the miller man once
admitted to a crush on pironi :-) me, i never quite got over the Imola
Incident, and can i admit a tears moment here? watching the video of the
82 season last month and seeing the villeneuve crash for the first time
in 16 years. Um, but yeah, what tragedy 82 delivered...

> reference to Didier Partouche, a one-time Going for Gold champion (must
> have been 1993, I think) with simply the greatest helmet-styled haircut
> going.

nope, but Pironi had the best helmet design... oo-er. who remember
lauda's brabham trying to shag his tyrrell at mirabeau in 79? Oh yeah,
no-one... i forget no-ones that old or sad.

> And to think I was waiting for something relevant and sharp to say
> before my next posting.

i'm sure that talk of f1 drivers dead or alive is the most un-B&S thing
imaginable, but you know i like to think that they would applaud the
perversity of my plan to write obsessionaly about motor racing whilst
remaining a passionate non-driver.

does anyone have a decent OCR programme?

cheers,

duke