Sinister: Joey Waronker, My 4th, etc.

Courtney Knopf vegasbaby at xxx.com
Wed Jul 8 02:28:12 BST 1998

Trousers mentioned Joey Waronker playing drums for REM at the Tibetan
Freedom Concert. Joey is the brother of Anna Waronker, lead singer of
the now defuct band that dog. and son of Lenny Waronker who is an exec
over at Dreamworks (he was the executive producer on Rufus Wainwright's
debut). ANd I believe that Joey plays (played?) drums for Beck and he
hasn't been named as a permanent replacement. Andy...anything i left out
that you'd care to clarify?

And speaking of Dreamworks, I worked a test screening for their new
movie, "Antz"....looks like they'll be giving Tasha and the crew over at
Pixar a run for their money...though I am looking forward to A Bug's
Life a bit more. But Antz draws first blood with a release date of
October 1st, so we shall see.

And on a bit of a late note, my 4th of July was pretty boring. 45
minutes of fireworks is a bit excessive, don't you think? But all was
not lost as I beleive I turned a 60 year old onto B&S. A bunch of people
were outside playing volleyball and I was inside talking to this lady
and she said "hmm..it's too quiet. we need music." a search for CDs
around the house proved fruitless so I broke out my handy mix tape that
I tend to keep in my purse for just this type of occasion. LLPJ was the
first song on it. of course as soon as I put the tape on the party moves
back inside and someone (I assume the owner of the house) asked what the
music was and then this annoyingly burnt out birkenstock wearing hippy
said "i don't know, but i hate it!"
I cocked my head to one side and imagined what king of verbal lashing
you all would give her. That satisfied my homicidal tendencies for the
night. She then proceeded to put on some obnoxiously lous salsa music
and started to dance around like she was at a Dead concert.
The lady I had been talking to leaned over to me and said "I liked your
music better."
With that I preceeded to extoll the virtues of B&S and told them to buy
IYFS. And she made a mental note of it. At least I got to one person.

As for the neglect the west coast is facing from B&S....I'm so
devestated about it all. Have they ever set foot on west coast soil?
Looks like us west coast fans will just have to rent a private jet and
fly over to see them.

~Courtney
The Sultraness of Swing
"I know what a face consists of."