Sinister: Joey Waronker, My 4th, etc.

Steven Jay Goldman sgold06 at xxx.edu
Wed Jul 8 03:54:59 BST 1998

> Trousers mentioned Joey Waronker playing drums for REM at the Tibetan
> Freedom Concert. Joey is the brother of Anna Waronker, lead singer of
> the now defuct band that dog. and son of Lenny Waronker who is an exec
> over at Dreamworks (he was the executive producer on Rufus Wainwright's
> debut). ANd I believe that Joey plays (played?) drums for Beck and he
> hasn't been named as a permanent replacement. Andy...anything i left out
> that you'd care to clarify?

Actually, for those not in the know, here's a few REM tidbits...

1:  Check out the new issue of the Oxford American (a Southern magazine
put out by John Grisham, but is kinda cool)...it's the music issue and
comes with a CD comp featuring...a new REM track!!  It's called "Why Not
Smile" and it's the first track recorded without Bill Berry on
drums...actually, it doesn't have any...a mellow little ditty...the rest
of the comp is quite fab as well...;)

2:  Word from the grapevine is that Barrett Martin, of Screaming Trees and
Tuatara fame, is the "temporary" drummer for REM during their new
recording sessions and tour if they have one... (sounds about as
"temporary" as the Lincoln Memorial, but who asked me?)

In more personal news, I'm trying to sort through a mediocre translation
of Antigone to see if it'll work in a summer production I'm the dramaturg
on...my kingdom for Greek tragedy in VERSE!

Anyhow, enough midsummer ranting...on with the B&S-drooling!

--Steven

"Oh, no!  Not EXERCISE!!"
		--Lazy Smurf