Sinister: nostalgia, take two

Delaware9 at xxx.com Delaware9 at xxx.com
Wed Jul 8 05:28:17 BST 1998

OK well I have a lot thats been going thru my head and I decided to actually
write and post it instead of letting my thoughts fizzle out into nothing as
they usually do...I have written so many letters to Sinister in my head, like
thought of things I ought to write, when I am bored at work, usually, or
whenever, but I never get around to sending them.  Somehow they seem less
relelvant and worthy as the time passes by...

 but ANYWAY--

with all the talk of 80s stuff thats been going on, I was only able to think
of how there will inevitably be an 80s revival in the next 5-10 years..it is
fascinating to look at the past and see how the patterns of nostalgia and
rehashing old trends repeat themselves.

Everything seems to come into vogue, or is that mockery???, again 20 years
after it was first popular.

Like in the 70s, the 1950s were remembered with TV/movies like Happy Days,
Grease and Rocky Horror Picture Show which show typical 50s teens doing their
thing...

In the 80s stuff from the 60s came back like tacky boots like really tall
boots, like in the Breakfast Club when Claire is wearing those boots with her
skirt...ew.  Also miniskirts were popular, and that really pale light pink
cosmetics trend, like in the 60s,. actually I dont know the 80s too well cos
thats when i was born but Im sure there is lots of other stuff I cant think of
now...

Then in the 90s my god, we have the flares, bell bottoms, platforms and clogs,
disco on the radio every Saturday night, Boogie nights, all that 70s stuff on
VH1, the rerelease of Grease, and also the late 70s punk and ska, its the 70s
all over again...

This is all American stuff but im sure that other countries follow similar
patterns...

Anyway to get to the point, the 80s are gonna come back in the early 2000s,
theoretically, and can you just imagine what it will be that comes back??
Fashion- or pop-culture-speaking...the gauchos, neon, tightass jeans, and will
new wave fall under the same revival disco did??  I loved the fact that
(early-to-mid, at least) 80s fashion seemed to be a mismatch of the craziest
things one could pull from their closet, but can you see it?  Asymmetrical
haircuts, tight stretch pants, etc....I feel bad for those who fervently hate
all 80s culture cos its gonna be in our face very soon...

what kind of music do you all think will come back in the 00s?  I hope to god
its not the return of cock rock , or as some say, hair rock...i shudder at the
thought
and now, for that, uh, B&S content...

 I havent the slightest idea of who it was, but a month or 2 ago one poster
commented on how he would look on the web sites at the lyrics for B&S songs he
had never heard and make up melodies in his head for the songs...do any of you
find that happening for these new songs, after simply hearing their titles?
Like, words for "It could have been a brilliant career"

"It could have been a brilliant career,"
he cried into his beer,
while pigeons fought for crumbs,

"It could have been a wonderful ride,"
he shuddered and sighed,
and sat upon his thumbs

Haha, I know that its awfully cheesy but I cant stop myself!!  It comes on its
own...at least I know that anything B&S writes would have to be 80 times
better than this and I will be pleasantly surprised to hear the real thing
after this trash has been swimming round my head...

Also, I suppose we all know by now not to trust CDZone, but what abt Music
Blvd?  Have you all had OK experiences with them?  I ordered the LLPJ EP but
have yet to send in my payment.  I have ordered things from them before,
successfully.  Are they A-OK when it comes to B&S?

Jess
"Don't dream it, be it!"