Sinister: 10 Roddington Place

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Wed Jul 8 18:47:58 BST 1998

PJMiller wrote:

> Does anyone remember Rene Arnoux's performance on Superstars? He was short
> and unfit and came in about half an hour after everyone else in the hundred
> metres dash. Not a patch on Brian Jacks. Where are they now? And wasn't Rene
> with Renault? Superstars, what a great programme. I wonder how much they got
> paid?

a pack of gitanes, allegedly. actually that's why rene always came in
last, he smoked too many fags. yeah, he drove a renault for a while, and
it always blew up. he did win in one at monza though, beating tambay in
a ferrari, but the tifosi forgave him because he was going to drive for
them the next year. i think he might even have wona race or two for
them, but then he got dumped and went to ligier when they were crap and
even jacques laffitre when he was, like, 50, was quicker than him. Brian
Jacks? short dumpy geezer, right? Judo man. Not a patch on Jody
Scheckter, who won the first international superstars. i always laughed
at them in the bike races because they rode like schoolkids, or gringos
as we used to call them.

> THERE'S a definitive story I would like to read. I can't really imagine
> McCarthy being a thrill a minute, unless someone makes it all up.

i might make it all up in a week or so, i'll see how my schedule goes.
it might be amusing trying to equate a love of the pet shop boys with
revolutionary communism.

> The Smiths are underrated. Their time will come.

not if i can help it, mate.

respect.

the duke