Sinister: The boy who's always dancing

Perfection As A Hipster Andreas.Hering at xxx.de
Thu Jul 9 17:02:44 BST 1998

Carrick C Bliss wrote ...

>On Sat, 4 Jul 1998 22:24:42 +0100 "jon g." <jon.g at btinternet.com> writes:
>
>>but there seems to be nothing of any real cultural significance
>>yelling at me from the last decade, unlike the 60s and 70s, which are
>>screaming at me all day long.  All there seems to be is dodgy kiddy
>>casio keyboards and pop stars who don't write their own songs.  I know
>>there musthave been more, but I can't see it.  Can anyone help?  Or I
>>am I right?
>
>well, i waited a few days to see if anyone could help jon.g to appreciate
>years 80-89. I assumed there must be more informed people out there who
>could help out. But all we've seen is a short list of worthwhile bands
>and some rather distasteful reminders of 80's fashions. Unfortunately, I
>can only do this from American perspective. Things might have been
>different elsewhere.

I'm convinced that nobody could possibly be interested in a German
perspective (including myself), but this mail reminded me that I compiled
two cassettes for my thirteen year old brother last year featuring a bunch
of P!O!P! tunes stemming from the years '80-'87. Starting off with "Tender
Object" by Orange Juice you'll find an excellent selection of absolute
classic P!O!P! masterpieces also paying homage to my liking for the London
Paisley Underground.

I wouldn't mind borrowing the "masters", interested youngsters could
establish a snail mail chain forwarding the cassettes to each other for
individual dubbings or someone might volunteer to make copies for other
listees provided s/he'll be reimbursed as regards the expenses. Besides, in
my humble opinion the last decade was the most enjoyable in terms of P!O!P!
music, closely followed by the Sixties.

Only a thought ... of course, Jon would be the first recipient of said
cassettes. ยง;^D

Please e-mail me privately in the case of your interest.

"From Art To Pop And Back Again"

Andreas

The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella