Sinister: Shoot First Ask Questions Later

Carrick C Blair carrick44 at xxx.com
Fri Jul 10 06:18:18 BST 1998

Somebody named Robert said...
> It helped me get over the extraordinary "breakbeat"
>incident of the day before.

Well finally I was responsible for an "incident". An extraordinary one at
that.
Sorry, I was overstating things bit on my review of Looper. But I figured
most of you regularly read MM and NME and therefore used to people
overstating things.
I gave the single a few more hard listens, and well, it still sucks. No,
I'm sorry, I'm doing it again.

Its merely OK. That's it. That's why I'm disappointed. That's why I was
wringing my hands. It was, well a nice base line there, a nice trumpet
blast there(or was the nice trumpet blast on the flip side?), a sort of
nice groove going on here, and a nice story, (yet discussing a similar
relationship development to the one discussed in Century of Elvis), and
wait a minute, why is it getting all fast, and its slow again and its
over. Where was the song? Okay when I want sheer brilliance.

>that it might be...different

That's the reason I fell in love with the Belle & Sebastian in the first
place. They were different. And they were taking chances. I guess the new
album going's to be a Revolver as opposed to a Rubber Soul. I just hope
they use the breakbeats more effectively on the album.

I still say lowfi breakbeats is a musical dead end. But then again I
sitting here listening to Four-Calendar Cafe, and enjoying it, even
though most people think it the worst Cocteau Twins LP ever. So what do I
know.

>I'm not a violent man, but come the revolution all purists will be stood
up against a >wall and shot.

I could take that personally, my people have a history of being lined up
against walls and shot. All by well-meaning folks, mind you.

And I like this bit....

>Yes, or there's Nina Simone's incomparable 'Baltimore' , which with
>its dreamy reggae beat would prove an ideal cover to further Belle and
>Sebastian's fan-baiting eclecticism.

Sounds lot better than my choice. Yet with all this eclecticism talk,
don't you think its odd that B&S chooses to cover somewhat obvious songs.
The Smiths, Orange Juice, Velvet Underground, Left Banke? Of course the
idea of them doing these songs makes me go weak-at-the-knees, esp.
Isobelle singing, "In A Nutshell" was it?
Lovely.

Love
Carrick The Not-So-Pure

PS Since there's a few of you are old time pop fans, and old time Scots,
I bought the Suede Crocodiles single today for 5$. Too much? Too little?

And after Baltimore, how about Providence? Lots of old warehouses and
houses with vinyl siding. And the pizza there has really thin crust.