Sinister: Jon G is an inspiration

Mark Casarotto Mark at xxx.com
Fri Jul 10 10:30:47 BST 1998

Okay - my morning grogginess has been well and truly cast asunder (what
does that actually mean?) and my brain is racing while I try to think of
just the bestest eighties record for Jon to buy. Obviously I'll lose, as
I wasn't really into music in the 80s (I was only 15 in '89, and then my
life was saved by The Cowboy Junkies "Trinity Session" - in fact, that's
a pretty darn good recommendation if it did come out before 1/1/90),
which means that everything I recommend will be commercial pap or dead
well known anyway.

This fact is illustrated by the fact that the last record I bought, on
Wednesday (and it was a record, unusually for me now that I've been
seduced by the CD), was "Lovely" by the Primitives, which has the
awesome "Stop Killing Me" and "Thru the Flowers" on it, not to mention
the no. 5 in th'Hit Parade smash "Crash"! I was so into this in 1990,
and I still love its Voice of the Beehive-inspiring P!O!P! (never used
that before - there seem to be regulations governing its use, so I hope
I got it right).

I'll stop wittering now and email jon g privately with my more
considered suggestions - but in the meantime, can I ask if anyone knows
anything about an Antipodean combo called Look Blue Go Purple, whose
fine, fine "Cactus Cat" single is my only link to them, and that's just
on a compilation. Which reminds me, if there are people on this list who
might appreciate what is really a very obvious record collection, I'm
bang up for the compilation tape tree thing - How does side one of
Helium, Stereolab, Kate Bush (natch), Colm, Huggy Bear, th'Faith
Healers, Kenickie, Scott 4, Yo La Tengo and Sash! sound?

Oh yes - and one more final thing. John Kennedy on XFM played
religiously, about 2-3 months ago, an instrumental tune, about 8 minutes
long, by someone I _think_ was called Skyway. It was very mellow, pretty
obvious, but I really liked it. Can anyone enlighten me? A private
email'd be cool. Ta!