Sinister: The boy who's always dancing

Hopkins, Tim t.hopkins at xxx.uk
Fri Jul 10 11:05:30 BST 1998

Carrick wrote

> The 80's were a decade quite close to my heart.  One beautiful thing
> about it was how easy it was to be different. Button the top button of
> your shirt you were branded a freak worthy of a serious thrashing.
	<snip>
> But as you look through
> the pages you'd always see a few rather peculiar looking kids with quotes
> underneath from Jonathan Richman or the Smiths. It was us vs. them.

It was ALWAYS us v them. Us v them is the nature of pop music. Us v them is the nature of
growing up and becoming yourself...it's as much a process of exclusion as it is a process of
inclusion. It's not necessarily nice, but it is important, to P!O!P! at least. It's petty and
it's crass and it's P!O!P!

> But American music was thriving in the 80's. It was just not being talked
> about. Mission of Burma, Pylon, REM, Dream Syndicate, Minutemen, Husker
> Du, The Replacements. Bands you could believe in.

Funny how whoi is us and who is them become blurry though, isn't it? If you'd have pitched up
round my way in the 1980s with your talk of the Dream Syndicate and Husker Du, you'd have been
met with howls of derision, asked why you had bought into Classic Rock so soon, and then
probably been bought a pint of opaque cider. You would then have tried to justify your musical
taste to young men who were utterly unwilling to listen to your point of view, and who had
already decided that you were a P!O!P! traitor. It was us v them, you see.

Now...who cares? But I'd put my shirt (and today it's my vintage Pharcyde t-shirt, of which I'm
very proud, so this is no empty boast) that in schools and underage drinking dens around the
world, it's still very much us v them.

Of course I might be wrong. But since I'm old, I'm automaticallty THEM anyway. So I'm not
supposed to know who is us and who is them. The lines are invisible to me.

Oooh, time for my bed bath

tim