Sinister: 10 Roddington Place

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Fri Jul 10 16:48:55 BST 1998

"Jarvis" on Looper. And "Jarvis":

>well, i really love it. It's strange, but the record really reminds me
>of me, if that doesn't sound too conceited. It's like, well, it sounds
>for all the world like a little segment of a Duke's Living Room set,
>with some blips and slow beats and then some break beats and a spoken
>word thing over the top.

I haven't heard the record, but I have heard Looper over the Internet, and
yes, they reminded me of myself as well, insofar as they sounded bloody
terrible and kept stopping and starting.

 Stuart's stories, particularly Impossible
>Things, are lovely understated pieces, and really remind me of the short
>pieces we used to stick in the LR booklets, not that anyone read them,
>but whatever.

I've read some of them. My favourite is the Manifesto, especially the
suggestion that anyone who wants 4/4 beats all night should bugger off down
the shops and buy a Cream LP. I'm paraphrasing, of course. The only story I
can remember off the top of my head is about a bloke sitting on a bench that
says "arab strap". I mean that has "arab strap" written on it, it doesn't
actually say "arab strap" out loud, although that would probably be quite
good, can you imagine the look on the bloke's face? Sheer Heart Attack or
what? Anyway, seeing as I'm not going to get the Looper single, what I
thought I'd do is read that story out loud over a bit of that drum'n'bass
tape you sent me (which I really like now, I'm Squarepusher too) and record
it as a kind of substitute, back to their roots, Looper record. Anybody want
a tape?

 It's just weird is all... and really nice to feel that
>maybe someone somewhere else has a similar sensibility or something.

I know just what you mean. The same thing happened to me when I discovered
Isaac Hayes a couple of years ago.

Jon G - you might like Echo and the Bunnymen, the first two Billy Bragg
albums and some albums by The Fall, such as This Nation's Saving Grace, as
well as Orange Juice. Of course, you might hate them, but those are some of
the things I liked when I was around about your age. Well, I'm not sure how
old you are, but this kind of thing kept me company through the sixth form.
In fact I was so impressed by Mark E. Smith that I once refused to analyse
poetry because I'd heard him saying it was a bad idea on the radio. The
teacher must have thought I was a complete twat. But I digress: I used to
use and abuse the local record library, if you've got one of those nearby,
it's a good way to get to listen to new stuff dead cheap. When I say "new" I
mean stuff that you haven't heard before, because most of it's really old.

Keith was a prefect, eh?

I don't want anybody's address, you can all breathe a sigh of relief. I've
got Paul's and it's him I'm after. He might wake up to find a goldfish's
head in the bed one day. I'd forgotten about that tape he was going to do
me.

love,
Mad Frankie Miller