Sinister: Shoot First Ask Questions Later

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Fri Jul 10 17:54:28 BST 1998

Carrick C Blair wrote:

> over. Where was the song?

i dunno what all the thing about a song is... songs are neat, but
sometimes a good record is lots of things but not necessarily a great
song per se. this reminds me of Steve Wright on the radio proclaiming
LFO by LFO to be the worst record ever made, about how it had no melody,
when to anyone with ears the sub-bass notes were the melody, it was just
a different way of looking at it, or hearing it. It wasn't a song, in
the traditional sense, but it was a bloody great record. i think the
Looper record is a great sounding record.

> album going's to be a Revolver as opposed to a Rubber Soul. I just hope
> they use the breakbeats more effectively on the album.

well i couldn't give a toss about beatles references because, well,
that's personal tastes, but yes, i think the breakbeats could have been
better on the looper record, but hey... stuart is clearly no optical,
and vice versa.

> I still say lowfi breakbeats is a musical dead end.

i think it's an exciting avenue if pursued with energy. i'm still
waiting to see someone put some breakbeats together with Fire Engines
guitars... man i'd kill to hear someone with skill pull that one off.

> sitting here listening to Four-Calendar Cafe, and enjoying it, even
> though most people think it the worst Cocteau Twins LP ever. So what do I
> know.

sitting here listening to the Hefner LP again and loving it. i have
decided now that it's blueprint is early Eno and that is fine by me.
With some pixies thrown in for good measure. And a weird early
Go-Betweens angle. Cool.

> PS Since there's a few of you are old time pop fans, and old time Scots,
> I bought the Suede Crocodiles single today for 5$. Too much? Too little?

sounds a good buy to me, it's a pretty storming Pop moment called Stop
The Rain for anyone else who cares :-)

keep the faith

the duke