Sinister: Jon G is an inspiration

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Fri Jul 10 17:42:27 BST 1998

Mark Casarotto wrote:

> life was saved by The Cowboy Junkies "Trinity Session" - in fact, that's
> a pretty darn good recommendation if it did come out before 1/1/90),

i have one Cowboy Junkies single, it's a VU cover version, and it's
quite poor actually. i never really got the appeal, but i'm a
philistine.

> considered suggestions - but in the meantime, can I ask if anyone knows
> anything about an Antipodean combo called Look Blue Go Purple, whose
> fine, fine "Cactus Cat" single is my only link to them, and that's just
> on a compilation.

that's a mighty compilation, the Flying Nun 'in love with these times',
and i dunno anything about LBGP aside from the fact that the sleeve
notes say that cactus cat is from the 12" EP 'LBGPEP2', which suggest
that there might have been a LBGPEP1. There was a wealth of New Zealand
Pop in the 80s and i guess there is still... Flying Nun was sold
recently to a major i think, which is a shame, but they released some
astonishing records.

> Oh yes - and one more final thing. John Kennedy on XFM played
> religiously, about 2-3 months ago, an instrumental tune, about 8 minutes
> long, by someone I _think_ was called Skyway. It was very mellow, pretty
> obvious, but I really liked it. Can anyone enlighten me? A private
> email'd be cool. Ta!

weird, cos i was listening to the Skyway LP in school today when the
kids weren't around and i had chance to do some painting. it's a lovely
record, but i have no details since it was taped for me by a friend. if
no-one else can help with details, i'll ask him next week when i see
him. i do recall it came in some lovely minimalist packaging.

hope that didn't bore everyone.

the duke