Sinister: NOT 10 Roddington Place

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Fri Jul 10 17:32:06 BST 1998

Keith Watson wrote:

> >of me, if that doesn't sound too conceited. It's like, well, it sounds
> >for all the world like a little segment of a Duke's Living Room set,
>
> This is a worrying development Duke, could it be possible that Stuart David
> perhaps went to your dining room in the early sixties and heard you doing
> it, perhaps taping it with his portable DAT player? I'd get on to your
> lawyers.

anything is possible, and i mean anything. perhaps that little kid with
the glasgow accent that i used to see every summer on troon prom was
really stuart david, and that ice cream he was always clutching was
actually a cunningly disguised dat recorder... i always wondered why he
was following me around as i wandered up and down between the crazy golf
and the other, 'proper' putting green, telling anyone who would listen
(and those who wouldn't) all about my ideas to make noise out of lo-fi
breakbeats, typewriters, bleeps and phony romantic stories. 'one day...'
i would say, and everyone would smirk and move away, except for jimmy
mcfarlane who would take any chance to kick me in the guts. meanwhile
the little glasgow boy's ice-cream dropped a few more dribbles of
raspberry syrup onto the sand, and he plotted his future.

or something.

> Roddddney - you were a cheeky little bastard, as I said, you were very rude
> and you're very lucky we didn't give you a bogwash, or a wedgy or something.

Rodney mentioned Dollar academy or somesuch, and there's a kid in my
year 10 art group who always tells me about how he went on holiday to
scotland last summer, and that the place he went to was called Dollar. I
laugh and say trust Scotland to name a town after a dodgy 80s pop duo
with outrageous hair and teeth but he never gets the joke.

> any case the taping idea is cool, we should do it -

someone on the indie-pop list ran a similar thing when i was on there,
and it was a lot of fun, although sometimes tapes didn't appear, but
that was probably understandable when the majority of the particpants
were in the USA and i'm stuck here in rainy devon. But yeah, i'm up for
getting involved. i think that the guy who did the indiepop one just
asked people to send their details to him, and he stuck it on a database
and he had a little software routine that made matches. i dunno if
that's possible or necessary here, but whatever. i'm up for it for sure.
i can tape people lo-fi breakbeats and typewriter noise and i can read
stories over the top and pretend i'm someone special. not that anyone
will agree, but what the hell.

keep on pushing (colourbox)

the duke