Sinister: Kinks & Belle Ray DaviES & Stuart DaviD (band similarities)

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Sat Jul 11 09:06:22 BST 1998

> can anyone suggest what i should get (i had the early best-of one for a while,
> but i only remember 4 songs from it)?

66-68 era is my favourite, without a doubt. Get 'Something Else' and
'The Village Green Preservation Society', which are without a doubt two
of the very finest LPs ever made by anyone EVER. No shit. '67s
'Something Else' has classics like David Watts ('nice and easy...'),
Lazy Old Sun, End of The Season and ends with Waterloo Sunset.
'Preservation...' is from '68 and is just phenomonal. Like the secret
sacred Hurrah! there's a song called Big Sky, and it soars like you know
a song with a title like that should. Swoon to 'Sitting By The
Riverside' and 'Do You remember Walter', guffaw to Phenomonal Cat and
All Of My Freinds Were There, and bellow along to the title track. For
all fans of smack encrusted US rock dudes, there's even the song that
gave Johnny Thunders his moniker. What more do you want? Oh i know, you
want a double LP that PRT Reocrds stuck out in the UK in 87 called 'the
Kinks are well respected men' and it's basically a collection of single
a and b sides that never appeared on LPs. So it's not a best of, but
more a fill the gaps type excercise, but it collects some amazing stuff,
not least songs like 'I'm Not Like Everbody Else', 'Big Black Smoke' and
the proto T-rex sounding 'King Kong' from 69. The collection covers 64 -
70, ending with the flip side of Lola, 'Berkeley Mews' which to my ears
is vastly superior.

CAn i say something else about the Hefner LP? the Kinks. there.

off to chip tiles off the bathroom wall.

the duke