Sinister: a clean well-lighted letter

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Sat Jul 11 09:19:40 BST 1998

brad wrote:

> oh yeah. mmm bomp bomp. oh yeah. chikachika.
>
> remember that 80's tune? it was on the movie "weird science", which, as
> everyone knows has the distinction of being the best movie ever
> made....along with "electric dreams" (great soundtrack). it has the
> happiest song in the world on it..."together in electric dreams" by
> giorgio moroder with philip oakley. surely duke has a comment on this
> song. it took me four years to track down a copy of that soundtrack.

never one to shrink from a challenge... the duke says: actually moroder
and oakey took the idea from me. it was one sunny afternoon in 1982 and
i was sitting out in my mate Jon's back garden drinking home made wine.
i was telling his sister Vic that the 'Dare' LP that she was playing for
the millionth time that day, was marred only by it's lack of genuine
Disco Beats. 'That Oakey bloke', i said, 'he wants to hook up with that
Moroder chap who did such sterling work with Donna Summer'. i discovered
only much later that the strange looking shadow lurking behind the
gazebo was no other than Phil O himself, up to troon thanks to a tip off
from Stuart David's ice-cream, and out to rob blind yet more of the
duke's fledgling ideas. In hindsight i should have been alerted to his
identity by the haircut. Sigh. see, i coulda been someone, i coulda been
a contender.

> so, i want in on the tape tree thing. i got loads of songs by eggs and
> bedhead and townes van zandt and magnetic fields and a stunning cover of
> new order's "true faith" done by the boo radleys...along with their
> equally effective cover of the belle and sebastian inspiring song "alone
> again or" by love.

i can offer many things, including Love doing Alone Again Or and Seven
And Seven Is and The Jasminks doing the very same song. I love Love. And
i HAte HAte. actually i don't really, but i can stick that on a tape
too. HAve i lost anyone?

Actually i don't think i ever saw the movie... i was too upset that
Oakey swiped my concept. i thought weird science was hilariously bad
though, for what it's worth. i remember seeing it in the company of
aforementioned sister of Jon (no, NOT everyone's favourite Jon g..) and
a bottle or two of cider. Both these things quite clearly aided in the
enjoyment a great deal.

right, i really AM off to find the hammer and chip off some bathroom
tiles.

respect to the legless of the world, i hope to join you all tonight.

the duke