Sinister: Shoot First Ask Questions Later

Robert McTaggart mctag at xxx.com
Sat Jul 11 12:23:06 BST 1998

Carrick wrote:

>Sorry, I was overstating things bit on my review of Looper. But I
>figured most of you regularly read MM and NME and therefore used to
>people overstating things.

I figured that too.  Hence my flippant comment aboout shooting.

>That's the reason I fell in love with the Belle & Sebastian in the
>first place. They were different. And they were taking chances. I
>guess the new album going's to be a Revolver as opposed to a Rubber
>Soul. I just hope they use the breakbeats more effectively on the
>album.

I agree.  Sorry, Carrick, maybe I overreacted a little, but no malice
was intended, it was a joke really, and I'm sure regular readers will
know that I do like to play devil's advocate sometimes.  I certainly
wasn't using you as a stepping stone as some people have suggested.  A
stepping stone to what, I wonder?  Still, I digress.  I read Carrick's
first mail and I'd be lying if I said it didn't jar.  I love all B&S
records so far, but I don't want Sinister#2, I think you should use
all means at your disposal to make great records, whether breakbeats
or mongolian nose-flutes if they work.  I just thought Carrick's mail
sounded more than a little luddite (like the folkies who objected to
Dylan going electric), his follow-up letter put such fears at bay.

snidely and self-righteously, which comes as quite a shock, given the
good-natured conversations we've had in the past, can I just apologise
once again for being unable (unavoidably) to meet him in Sweden in
April and hope this wasn't the real motivation for his rather hurtful
and unfounded remarks about "stepping stones" and "cliqueyness".

Tag x