Sinister: lyrics quiz! & other stuff

petula twinkle at xxx.net
Sun Jul 12 18:49:51 BST 1998

At 12:40 AM 7/12/1998 -0400, The Trainspotter wrote:

>ok, so someone who is a friend of a friend just e-mailed me and said - I
>heard you listen to a lot of brit shtuff - guess these lot - <snip>
>'As the sun hits, she'll be waiting
>With her cool things and her heaven
>Hey hey lover you still burn me
>You're a song yeah, hey hey'

Erp, I'm showing my shoegazing roots by admitting to this-- but it's
Slowdive. And the last line is "You're a sun yeah, etc.". I must admit, I
remember how lovely it sounded when I saw them at the Ontario Place Forum
(before the stupid Molson Amphitheatre took its place, and incidentally the
Spice Girls played there last night!), it's outdoors on the lake's edge and
it was gorgeous.

Mark wrote:

>So make David Kitchen a very happy man - everyone knows that the list
should be >no more than a dating agency, so it's up to you all to stop
pretending you're >interested in no-mark indie bands and get horrrny...

For those truly serious about ending those lonesome Friday nights, you must
consider coming on #sinister. Just think--no need for that tiresome toilette
routine. You could be sitting in front of your pooter dressed in nothing but
a Color Me Badd t-shirt and no one would know! All it takes it a bit of your
natural born wit and nimble fingers, and you'll find loads of Sinisterines
just waiting to get saucy. Why, just the other night the subject line was
"There's a party in Keith's pants and you're all invited". Phwoooaar!

Espadrille wrote:

>so, everybody. would a zombies compilation be worth 7-99 of my money. the
>only song i know at the moment is time of the season, and that's pretty
>monstrously good, with its chook -aaah... bit.

I've noted the few suggestions so far, and they were all good. I'd say the
recent box set put out by Big Beat is the best value though. For roughly $90
Canadian you get 4 discs, with basically everything they've ever recorded,
including those bonus tracks on the German version of Odyssey & Oracle, as
well as BBC sessions and outtakes. The highlights for me include a full band
version of "The Way I Feel Inside" (which is normally a capella) and their
dreamy, gorgeous version of "The Look Of Love". And the liner notes are pure
class-- they got the band together to give a 90's perspective on every song.
Plus, in the back page is an address where you can write away for a free
Zombies fanzine which is packed with real clippings and fan letters from the
Philippines from the 60's! Umm, yes, I do love the Zombies.

Lastly, I would just like to say a few words about some of the recent list
brouhahas which some of you may or may not be aware of. I think it would be
sound if everyone took what each other was saying with a grain of salt. We
have to remember that typing is a very literal format. No jovial facial
expressions or hand gesticulations to give perspective. I say this because a
listee has been quite upset by having their words twisted around, by someone
who seems to find it impossible to be reasonable. Of course, if someone from
here writes you and says "your momma wears army boots", then that's another
matter. You should email Honey at once and he will dispatch Super Splatt to
the rescue.

Oh, and Peter Miller's Kraftwerk line was brilliant.

love, elisabeth xoxo

. East Coast USA and Canada 31/08 - 4/11, details at