Sinister: No good reason for it

Katrina House a-and-r at xxx.uk
Mon Jul 13 15:54:47 BST 1998

hello again,

Reid Dossinger wrote:

> >Maybe this is old news but at the record store I work at we called
> >Matador and they said the new B&S will be relesed September 3rd.

> So I'm going to tell you what I told (what feels like) millions of
> customers over the years: new releases, in the United States (in all
> 50 states at the same time, mind you), come out on TUESDAYS.  Always.
> Unless it's an independent release, in which case it's release date is
> the time when the most organized member of the band manages to get it
> consigned.

> So, since we were told (we were) that the record will be released on
> the 7th (the 7th being a Monday, Monday being the traditional new
> release day in the U.K.), we could probably assume that the new B&S
> album will be released in the U.S. on Tuesday, the 8th of September.
> But I guess we'll all just have to wait until Katrina sets us
> straight.

thanks reid ... i get really bored disclaiming everything everyone else
posts to the list, so it's nice to see someone else doing it for me!
the album in the states will be released (if all goes to plan) on
TUESDAY september 8th ... thank you.

> But it does bring up a question I've been wanting to ask...my friend
> and I have a theory that the reason that Tigermilk has so many more
> elements and instruments is because, since they weren't paying for the
> studio and the record release, they could take their time and produce
> it more, but when they got around to making IYFS, they had more budget
> and time constraints and therefore had to make a, um, leaner album.
> Is this true, or was the sparseness of IFYS an artistic decision?

umm, have to disagree on this one.  tigermilk was recorded in three days
and i think the students at stow may have had a hand in the production
of the lp, which is why it differs to "..sinister".  stuart is very
particular when it come to production. he insists on doing it himself
and it often leads to the levels being all over the place as he refuses
to let any compression be added to the tracks at the mastering stage.  i
think the new album has a fuller sound to it because he has had the
experience of "...sinister" (which was recorded and mixed in 10 days)
and it parts it sounds quite lost and maybe even tinny (to my ears
anyway).  the new album took about 6 months to record and a further 6
months to mix and even though that may seem tedious and long-winded, the
album has definitely benefitted from the time spent in the studio, as it
sounds fantastic!  (sorry to keep going on about it everyone!)

that's it for me ... do you really want a track by track description of
the album?

cheers,
Katrina.

        jeepster recordings ltd. - mailto:a-and-r at jeepster.co.uk
            217 canalot, 222 kensal road, london, w10 5bn, uk
               phone - 0181 964 9432, fax - 0181 964 8600
                        http://www.jeepster.co.uk

. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***