Sinister: Top Tens

poetryplace2 poetryplace2 at xxx.uk
Tue Jul 14 13:42:56 BST 1998

> someone mentioned the top 10
> guitar solos, and that sounded like a great idea. Can we have a few more
> heavy metal top tens please, is that allowed. What about a top ten heavy
> metal bands.
>
> 1. Stone Roses - I am the resurrection. This rules it's as simple as that
> 2. Television - Marquee Moon. Not Tom Verlaine's bit, but the little
widdly
> bit that Richard Lloyd does after the first chorus
> 3. Neil Young - All along the watchtower. There was this great bit a few
> years ago on the the telly where Neil Young and Pearl Jam do this and the
> boy from Pearl Jam do a solo each, and Neil Young's guitar is about 10
times
> as loud as the other bloke, and he just plays this one long wobbling note
> and then goes away, totally upstaging the pearl jam lad.
> 4. Yngwie J Malmsteen - oh alright, I just wanted to say his name
> 5. The End - The Beatles - John Lennon's bits
> 6. They're getting thin on the ground now... so someone else have a go,
I'll
> pass the baton on to Tim Hopkins! Away you go Tim.

I think Tiff is still away in Brussels, feasting on the European sprout
mountain, so I'm gonna but in...

1) Something by J Mascis. Arguably his career is a mere footnote to Mr
Jung, but the solo on their version of "Just Like Heaven" rocks like a
mutha.

2) Something by that Perry bloke out of the Only Ones. I've been listening
a lot to The Only Ones recently, as a consequence of listening to that
Hefner Lp, which has grown on me a lot. Not like mould, but like a
beautiful flowery shrub thingy. So it's gonna hafta be the solo on "Miles
from Nowhere" (Peel session version).

3) Pete Shelley's solo on The Buzzcocks' "Boredom". Ba-dum ba-dum.

4) Johnny Marr coming out of the closet as a true axe-hero on "Paint A
Vulgar Picture".

5) The guitar playing all the way through The Blue Aeroplane's lp "Swagger"
is just lovely. I think some bloke called Alex Bruschetta played on "And
Stones", and that's the business. He's in Massive Attack's band now.

Ta ta

Trousers
xxxxxx

. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***