Sinister: Top Tens

A.M. Horne amh20 at xxx.uk
Tue Jul 14 14:17:15 BST 1998

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Keith Watson wrote:

>     Indeed Richard I don't blame you for not having a clue what's going on.
> Let me just say that the Iron Maiden top 10 was a bit of a joke, but
> nonetheless, here's one that's not a joke, someone

yes. me. espadrille

 mentioned the top 10
> guitar solos, and that sounded like a great idea. Can we have a few more
> heavy metal top tens please, is that allowed. What about a top ten heavy
> metal bands.
>
> 1. Stone Roses - I am the resurrection. This rules it's as simple as that

true

> 2. Television - Marquee Moon. Not Tom Verlaine's bit, but the little
widdly
> bit that Richard Lloyd does after the first chorus

don';t know it

> 3. Neil Young - All along the watchtower. There was this great bit a few
> years ago on the the telly where Neil Young and Pearl Jam do this and the
> boy from Pearl Jam do a solo each, and Neil Young's guitar is about 10 times
> as loud as the other bloke, and he just plays this one long wobbling note
> and then goes away, totally upstaging the pearl jam lad.

i vaguely remember it being pretty good.

> 4. Yngwie J Malmsteen - oh alright, I just wanted to say his name

each to his or her own.

> 5. The End - The Beatles - John Lennon's bits
> 6. They're getting thin on the ground now... so someone else have a go, I'll
> pass the baton on to Tim Hopkins! Away you go Tim.

i'd add dave gilmour's playing on 'shine on you crazy diamond part I',
george harrsion, perhaps, on 'while my guitar' (tho i think it might
actually be eric clpaton) (ohmigoodness, i'm sorry for bringing HIS
name up on this list)

i might even be sad enough to add jimmy page on 'stiarway', but that
would get me taken off to the 70s hell in the sky.

that;s enough guitars.

espadrille

. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***