Sinister: book recommendations and Madeline

Ciflux at xxx.com Ciflux at xxx.com
Tue Jul 14 16:47:23 BST 1998

I de-lurk for once...

So I spent part of this past weekend re-reading the Duke's "literary
supplements" to what sounds like an incredible weekly nightclub he runs in
Exeter.  For those who haven't read them, these are photocopied booklets (once
small and weekly, recently larger and monthly) full of art, collage, poetry
and prose.  It occured to me that much of the prose is influenced by a Belle &
Sebastian sensibility -- sometimes subtle, sometimes blatantly influenced.
"Lazy Line Painter Jane" provided a perfect musical backdrop.

So I guess my question is: could anyone recommend any further reading that
evokes the same feel?  I know I'm being a little vague here, but think of your
favorite B&S songs and consider if any of your favorite authors or books make
you feel the same way -- dreamy, dissatisfied, displaced, perhaps slightly
lonely.  A European setting couldn't hurt, either.  I'd appreciate any
suggestions, thanks.

I also saw _Madeline_ this weekend with my dear betrothed Callie (also a
fellow lurker).  It was actually quite a good film, cute without being
cloying, something I think your average listmember would appreciate.  I've
never read the original stories -- too immersed in the Hardy Boys and dinosaur
books at that tender age, I suppose -- but the film did a great job of
presenting a children's story that not only doesn't condescend, but that
grownups like us appreciated as well.  And the French scenery was dreamy
indeed, including the omnipresent Eiffel Tower behind the school.  "S/he's a
bad hat" has become Callie's and my favorite new bon mot.

mike
ciflux at aol.com
. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***