Sinister: Top Tens Rule

Barrett R ronbarrett at xxx.ie
Wed Jul 15 10:47:00 BST 1998

Hello all

I know that this was about 5 Top Tens ago, but the guitar solo on Big Star's
"September Gurls" is awesome.

I would also like to fourth/fifth/whatever the recommendations for the
Pernice Brothers album.  The Woody Guthrie thing that Billy Bragg and Wilco
have done is really good as well.

Does anyone out there know much about Jim White?  He played in Dublin last
week and he was both sublime (when his drum machine wasn't in use) and
ridiculous ( when the drum machine was on, thereby drowning his lovely
country tunes out) in equal measures.  His album "Wrong Eyed Jesus" is one
of the best things I've heard in ages though, and yet he doesn't seem to get
much press on this side of the ocean.

Was anyone else really jealous of all those parties in France over the last
couple of days?  I was over there at that sports event which shall remain
unmentioned (I'm already on a yellow card from Honey over the nationalism
thing, I think) a couple of weeks back and I was delighted for them as the
whole nation failed to live up to their stereotype by being dead friendly
the entire time.  Although Ronaldo must have been really ill to let Frank
LeBouef mark him out of the game.

Ronan

PS  Loved the Gregorian Chant Top Ten!  All classics, no doubt.
. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***