Sinister: RE: Shoegazing..... (No B&S content)

Edmund Hornsby edmund at xxx.uk
Thu Jul 16 09:50:57 BST 1998

>this might sound utterly daft, but can someone please explain to me
what
>shoegazers are?  my music guide thingy lists, as Shoe Gazers:
>blur (indie pop, had one song that was bunched in for no reason, shes
so high)
>charlatans uk (never seen as shoegazers)
>happy mondays (baggy)
>inspiral carpets (baggy)
>my bloody valentine (shoegazers sort of, 'isn't anything' was the album
you had to sound like to be bunched in, but they grew out of it by
Loveless)
>portishead (far too late, trip hop anyway)
>stone roses (baggy)
>suede (indie pop and far too late)
>i dont see that much of a connection...

Well, that's because, as was pointed out before, your books being lying
to you.
Shoegazing was a totally UK based scene which involved any band who
'stared at their shoes'.
The height of the scene was in about 1991, with the obvious point of
demise being Nirvana's 'Nevermind' and their headlining Reading in 1992.
On the main stage of Reading 1991, Chapterhouse had played directly
before Nirvana and had watched them afterward feeling, well shall I say
somewhat distraut.

The probable height for most of the bands was the first Slough festival
(this only ran for 2 years and the second one contained bands like
Senseless Things and Silverfish!)
The only band I associate with Shoegazing from your list is:
MBV, and they soon distanced themselves from that tag.
The bands I would think were best known for the period were Ride,
Chapterhouse, Moose, Lush, Revolver, Catherine Wheel (early).
There were less known ones: The Belltower (US), Blind Mr Jones, Drop
19's (US), That Uncertain Feeling.
And ones which were loosely associated: Telescopes, Adorable, Boo
Radleys.
Notice also how many of these bands were on Creation and Dedicated.
Some of the bands had good careers after but to my mind only Ride stuck
to a similar formula.

. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***