Sinister: Now I'm no Canadian but...

John Johnston JohnJ at xxx.com
Thu Jul 16 10:06:29 BST 1998

There is some fabulous Canadian music in this world. Hell there is
fabulous American music and I can't bear it when people write off a
country's music ability. It's stupid saying British music is ace (Chas n
Dave anyone?) and others isn't or American music sucks/rules. There's
just too much.

Sure it's easy to slag off Celine Dion and her compatriot cronies but
give the Great White North a break I say.(BTW - I'm not trying to "have
a go" at Suzanne S, I'm merely trying to engage in the full and frank
exchange of robust opinions that makes Sinister the place it is (indeed
I second her emotions concerning Arab Strap - can we have a list crush
please??)).

But I've always felt that if you have problems with the Barenaked Ladies
then you take life/music far too seriously. I've seen them live on a
number of occasions in Scotland and England and there gigs are so joyous
- such a celebration of being young and alive that they've really lifted
me. Sure they do "novelty" songs but they also do some really moving
"straight" songs as well. Part of their genius is the way they can
switch the mood of their gigs so brilliantly. And I've always thought
that never in a million years could a band like that come from the UK -
The Barenakeds don't have "attitude" or cynicism , they are so
unselfconscious -they go out there and have fun and rock one for the
kids; bands like them and others like Moxy Fruvous could only be
Canadian in my books.

The Smiths said burn down the disco coz the music "said nothing to me
about my life". I sometimes think "Thank God it doesn't! If every song I
heard said I was balding computer programmer who couldn't find a
girlfriend - my world would be a very miserable place indeed".

>Nobody ever thinks of Canada when they talk about music,
True enough, but when I think about Canada I often think about the music
(and double stuff Fudgee-os)

xx
JJ - not that JJ I'm another one

. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***