Sinister: Madder Rose & Emile Zola

James Errington james at xxx.com
Thu Jul 16 13:11:21 BST 1998

Mark Casarotto Wrote...
> 7. "sTop (the love you save)" - Madder Rose version
Mark! Well done! Anyone else love Madder Rose? I saw them last year, and
they were... ...oooh, so good! (but my friends hated them) Does anyone know
about their new / not very new anymore album? I cant find it anywhere.

But..... enough top 10s already! You don’t all want to end up like the
characters in Nick Hornby's 'High Fidelity' do you?

Anyway, while I'm on the subject of fiction, I've just been reading 'His
Masterpiece' by Emile Zola and I've found this paragraph whose relevance to
the modern music press is uncanny:

	'No doubt, public stupidity is boundless, and I am quite willing that you
should trade on it. Only I remember the first starts that we old fellows had.
Dash it! We were not spoiled like that, I can tell you. We had ten years'
labour and struggle before us ere we could impose on people a picture the size
of your hand; whereas nowadays the first hobbledehoy who can stick a figure
on it's legs makes all the trumpets of publicity blare. And what kind of
publicity is it? A hullabaloo from one end of France to the other, sudden
reputations that shoot up of a night, and burst upon one like thunderbolts, amid
the gaping of the throng. And I say nothing of the works themselves, those
works announced with salvoes of artillery, awaited amid a delirium of
impatience, maddening Paris for a week, and then falling into everlasting
oblivion!'

Doesn't that just say it! Zola comes very well recommended from me (unlike
Nick Hornby, to be honest)

WeeJay - Manipulating you illicitly since 1979
james at twopounds.u-net.com
. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***