Sinister: slow songs / shoegazing / lots of rubbish really

rob b rewb2 at xxx.uk
Thu Jul 16 14:38:51 BST 1998

dear all

sorry, this is quite long...

> Reid wrote:
>
> I am one of those detractors.  I believe I gave it a two.  It's amazing
> how such a great song can sound so bad.  Am I the only one who's
> bothered by how off-key ALL THREE of them are?   The idea of doing is
> slow is good, and I love the end bit (where no one's singing), but they
> just didn't pull it off.  Maybe with a little more practice, it can live
> up to it's potential.
>
> YES!  I think I gave the slow version a 1.  It is quite mediocre, off
key, and
> I find myself getting a headache when I listen to it.  I think that song
has
> to naturally go fast.  Just as a side note as long as we're criticizing,
> don't much like "You Made Me Forget My Dreams." The only good part of
that
> song is the little reward at the end when it suddenly gets funky

no no no no no no nooo...  the slow version is fantastic, sooo much better
than the original.  i gave that and 'you made me forget my dreams' 10
points a piece, or at least 9.  the 'iyfs' version of 'seeing other people'
is great, and although it didn't hit me as being wonderful at first listen
(unlike 'dylan...' 'fox in the snow' etc.)  i grew to love the bouncy
peanuts piano intro (which they nicked off Love, i'm sure..) and the
slightly naughty lyrics.   but then, when i got hold of the session
version,  my god, it was the most perfect piece of music ever!   it doesn't
matter that they aren't perfectly in tune - it's a live recording, you
can't expect perfection - plus, it adds character i think.  anyway, 'you
made me forget my dreams' is really lovely, particularly when the
tambouriney thing starts up towards the end of the song.  and i'm not
convinced by the little funky bit at the end - it makes me laugh though, so
it doesn't matter i suppose.

Melissa wrote  re: shoegazing:
> the most perfect example of the ultimate shoegazer band, IMHO, is
Slowdive.
> Some silly brit journalist did a live review of, I believe, Slowdive
> (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone) and commented on how when they played
they
> were all constantly gazing at their shoes...so of course another one of
> those ever-so-handy labels was born....

well, i was on the slowdive mailing list for a while, never bringing up the
courage to post anything, but one of the topics of discussion was indeed
the term 'shoegazing'.   apparently, they feel very hard done by, as it's
not their shoes that are so interesting, it's more the bizarre array of
weird and wonderful foot pedals that adorn the stage of every hard-core
shoegazing act, in order to create the strange whooshing noises that seem
to play such an important part of their music.  so you can't blame them for
looking earthwards i say.

Keith, in his encyclopaedic history of  British P!O!P!, wrote:
> Verve were good too - a lot of people will disagree with me on that one

i agree whole-heartedly.  'she's a superstar' is one of my favouritest
songs ever.  it's so so good.  and that blue album, can't remember what
it's name is, oh yes, 'a storm in heaven'.  that's great that is - a bit
strange in places, but it's got some fantastic bits on it.  'history' was a
great song too, and their new stuff's not bad, quite pleasant to listen to.
 i think i preferred them sans 'the' though.

someone mentioned the telescopes.  'you set my soul' is a truly gorgeous
song by them, and will be on my tape tree tape without a doubt (unless of
course i get death threats via e-mail from other members of the tree).  i
only have one of their albums, and am not sure how many they did, but they
are definitely worth checking out.

and the boo radleys too, they're great.  i've seen them live about four
times - i didn't think much of 'wake up boo', a bit TOO P!O!P if you see
what i mean, but 'giant steps' is out of this world, as is much of
'everything's alright forever'.

James Errington wrote:
> Mark! Well done! Anyone else love Madder Rose? I saw them last year, and
> they were... ...oooh, so good! (but my friends hated them) Does anyone
know
> about their new / not very new anymore album? I cant find it anywhere.

i love madder rose, at least their early stuff.  'swim' is divine, as is
most of that 'bring it down' album - i'm not sure how many albums they've
had since - i only have one other album of theirs, and i can't remember its
name.  so i'm not much use really, am i?

anyway, this has turned out much longer than i was expecting, so i'll be
gone now, and stop boring you all.

bye bye

rob
xx
. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***