Sinister: o canada

Suzanne Schroeder suzsch at xxx.net
Thu Jul 16 19:49:58 BST 1998

----------
> From: sinister-digest <owner-sinister-digest at xxx.net>
> To: sinister-digest at majordomo.net
> Subject: sinister-digest V2 #252
> Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998 6:50 AM
>

> sinister-digest        Thursday, July 16 1998        Volume 02 : Number
252

> Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:06:29 +0100
> From: John Johnston <JohnJ at xxx.com>
> Subject: Sinister: Now I'm no Canadian but...
>
> There is some fabulous Canadian music in this world. Hell there is
> fabulous American music and I can't bear it when people write off a
> country's music ability. It's stupid saying British music is ace (Chas n
> Dave anyone?) and others isn't or American music sucks/rules. There's
> just too much.
>
> Sure it's easy to slag off Celine Dion and her compatriot cronies but
> give the Great White North a break I say.(BTW - I'm not trying to "have
> a go" at Suzanne S, I'm merely trying to engage in the full and frank
> exchange of robust opinions that makes Sinister the place it is

Heh heh heh....not afraid that I'm either in a bad mood or a bit tipsy
again are ya?

>(indeed
> I second her emotions concerning Arab Strap - can we have a list crush
> please??)).

Hmm.  List crushes.....it makes people feel bad if they don't have one.

> But I've always felt that if you have problems with the Barenaked Ladies
> then you take life/music far too seriously. I've seen them live on a
> number of occasions in Scotland and England and there gigs are so joyous
> - - such a celebration of being young and alive that they've really
lifted
> me. Sure they do "novelty" songs but they also do some really moving
> "straight" songs as well. Part of their genius is the way they can
> switch the mood of their gigs so brilliantly. And I've always thought
> that never in a million years could a band like that come from the UK -
> The Barenakeds don't have "attitude" or cynicism , they are so
> unselfconscious -they go out there and have fun and rock one for the
> kids; bands like them and others like Moxy Fruvous could only be
> Canadian in my books.

Still doesn't make me hate that song even less.  Sorry.  I like cheesey
music, but this is a bit irritating for me.

> The Smiths said burn down the disco coz the music "said nothing to me
> about my life". I sometimes think "Thank God it doesn't! If every song I
> heard said I was balding computer programmer who couldn't find a
> girlfriend - my world would be a very miserable place indeed".

HA!  There it goes again.   95% of the guys I attract are computer
programmers and engineers!  I don't even bother asking what their
occupation is anymore, and I think once I actually said "you're in
computers, right?"    Is it because my dad programs computers that I know
how to speak the language?  Then again, austin is a huge computer mecca,
but the arty type automatically assume I'm a nice, run of the mill girl
that you'd shamefully want to bring home to your parents.  A friend of mine
said that I look "pleasant" (whatever that means).   Now, the arty hippies
will talk to me when they see that I have a guitar.  It's weird.

s.s.

. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***