Sinister: First Posts

Jen Jones jjones at xxx.com
Thu Jul 16 20:41:11 BST 1998

I apologize if this is already out of date.  I print the digests on my
way out of the office to read on the bus ride home.  I am so grateful
for the distraction.  This in response to a question asked yesterday in
one of the 2 digests I received.  RE: Songs for Chicks by Chicks
(although I know that wasn’t the actual title)

I am not sure how strict the theme has to be.  But I thought I would
list some songs that I found to be powerful love tools regardless of the
gender singing them:

1) “With a Girl Like you” the Troggs.  Best depicted in the movie
“Flirting” where the boys stand on one side of the room and the girls
stand on the other and nobody wants to make a move.  Besides, any song
where the “ ba-ba-ba”’s  or “la-la-la”’s are actually vocalized is a
good one ;)
2) “Girl from Ipenema (SP)” Getz/Gilberto.  It may be cliched but
goodness when Astrud starts in, her voice could make you melt.  I worked
in a small record store for 7 impressionable years of my life and the
fella who ran the classic store told me that when he was young this was
the song to make-out to.  That was a visual I didn’t need but I
definitely understood how it could lend itself to a “make-out” song.
3) “Be My Angel” Mazzy Star.  I liked Opal better but when rough trade
released She Hangs Brightly I thought Hope had dropped straight from
heaven.  I was only 16 that year and missed the opportunity to see them
in ’90.  By the time I did see ‘em (circa ’93) it had lost a lot of the
magic PLUS they didn’t play this gem of a song!!
4) “The Price I Pay” Billy Bragg.  Okay, this is a song about love lost
but I LOVE to sing it at the top of my lungs (regardless of the fact I
can’t carry a tune) and a lovely sentiment at that.
5) “Naomi” Neutral Milk Hotel.  This song actually gave me goosebumps
when I heard the first time.  I wish that someone would have that effect
on me.  Where they have filled every one of my senses to the degree that
I can still smell, feel, and taste them.  It’s so overwhelming that I
think that the person will explode into everything good.  I have come
close but my experiences don’t seem as magical as this.  This is truly a
magnificent tribute to Naomi ( where ever she is)
6) “Aeroplane Over the Sea” Neutral Milk Hotel (again, different album)
it could be that the Elephant6 collective is all Colorado has to offer
but I’ll tell you what: This song will fulfill every pop need you will
have.  Sure Jeff’s vocal range could use some work on the high end but
what a great song,
                                “ What a beautiful face I have found in
this place circling all around
                                  Sun
”

                                “
One day we will die and our ashes will
fly in an aeroplane over the
                                  sea.  But for now we are young, let us
lay in the sun and count every
                                 beautiful thing we can see love to be
”

I could on and on.  For girls singing about girls the Softies come to
mind.  Its Love is good although the best songs seem to be about
breaking up.  Yeah, ok, that’s the end of my first post to this here
list.  I am little nervous with all the rules that I may have broken one
with length but you gotta shoot for the stars right?  Thank you all, in
advance, for the daily distraction from my bus ride.

Jen J