Sinister: 10 Crap but "credible" Scottish Bands

Ihamilt at xxx.com Ihamilt at xxx.com
Fri Jul 17 08:46:28 BST 1998

1. Bis - Dreadful shouty nonsense - like early Fuzzbox meets Blur bsides -
this i might add, is not a good thing. Should be hung for their butchering of
"The Boy With The Thorn In His Side"

2. Uresei Yatsura - Middle class Glaswegian tossers doing a very poor attempt
at Pavement. Big tall guy annoys me as soon as i look at him. And anyone who
calls a song Slain by Elf can forget it. I lasted 3 songs watching them at
Sheffield last yeat.

3. Arab Strap - Rambling sub alcoholic mumbles over a tune that forgets its
supposed to be listenable somewhere along the line. Hugely overrated.

4. Idlewild - I saw these muppets supporting the mighty Gold Blade at King
Tuts. Daft wee boys trying to frighten their mum and dad by shouting and
jumping around a lot.

5. The Pastels - Steven Pastel is a lovely guy but purlleaseee, im no muso,
but a little terchnical ability wouldnt go amiss - after all theyve been at it
for long enough.

6. BMX Bandits - The kind of twee wank that students like for 6 months in
first year at uni to show how dreadfully alternative they are. In reality,
they are about as alternative as Hanson.

7. The Secret Goldfish - Being fey and winsome is a good thing and i heartliy
encourage it - these goons abuse the privelege. So sugary that after listening
to them for 10 minutes all your teeth fall out and you become 20 stones ( well
thats my excuse anyway)

8. The Delgados - See Uresei

9.  Mogwai - Like an even more irritating Sonic Youth - capable of being
splendid when they actually remember to write a song, but in general its 20
minutes doodling.

10.  Virtually anyone else on the Chemikal Underground label or who hangs
arounf the 13th note

Bye Kids

Iain

. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***