Sinister: You're rendering that scaffolding dangerous

Keith Watson keith at xxx.uk
Fri Jul 17 13:26:02 BST 1998

>Joss,
>
>Fair enough you dont like Gold Blade - thats fine and dandy by me. But
beleive
>me my post was no attempt to bate people. I have, to my regret, seen all
these
>bands and these are all genuinely held opinions.

Yeah, I didn't see that as a baiting attempt - however I'd be tempted to
agree with you on almost all points, I'd agree that almost all of these
bands are shit too. The only thing really that makes me believe in Arab
Strap is the mix of David Holmes's Serge Gainsbourg's Don't Die Just Yet,
which is brilliant. I bought the Delgados album on the recommendation of
lots of people on this list and frankly find it pretty dull. Some of it's
OK, but mainly shite. I can't agree with all you say though, cause I don't
really wanna have Morrissey's babies - for the moment anyway, even if I did,
it'd have to be in some sort of daft, Hawtrey-esque manner.

    I can agree with Ian Turton about Chris Leonard, I was having a hearty
chuckle last night at the thing he stuck on Stuart David's Looper guestbook
a few weeks ago. Well funny.

    James Errington - that wee bit about Blur going on TOTP looking like the
Stone Roses was a bit of a joke really, although they did.. but I'm not
having a go at them for that, that song was OK I thought. In my opinion they
continually try to make themselves look like innovators however, when they
are basically just copy people - they're pretty good at it I suppose, at
least they have a tune, but most of it doesn't really do it for me. There's
that one "Oily Water" which is their sort of MBV chorus one, which is very
good at doing MBV, that one I like. I am unconvinced of anyone's ability to
invent something like Britpop though - where all Britpop appears to mean is
copying bands from the sixties.

    Hey Tim - cheers for your filling in the remainder of the guitar solos
top 10. They were all great - maybe... If I'd heard of any of them!

    One thing right that's been on my mind recently - and has become a bit
of a pub debate, which I'm wondering if you lot can help with. Do you
remember in the 80's when everyone and his bloody aunt decided that Prince
was a total Genius? Well, now were a good decade on from this time and we
were  trying to work out whether or not he is... I can see he's knocked up
some great songs, SIgn of the times and Alphabet Street standing out for me,
but genius, I dunno - throw enough mud at the wall, maybe... So what do you
lot think? Prince - purple genius, or pint-sized twat.

    Cheers,
        Keith.

. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***