Sinister: Return to Roddington Place

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Fri Jul 17 15:48:39 BST 1998

Keith set forth his stall:

I am unconvinced of anyone's ability to
>invent something like Britpop though - where all Britpop appears to mean is
>copying bands from the sixties.

Ah, Britpop...British pop music; specifically, the music of a loose
affiliation of independent British groups performing in the mid nineties,
showing influences from a variety of British musical traditions

Britpop...has become the most popular musical form in the country, despite
orr because of its central tenet; a (very) basic gainsaying of the recieved
wisdom that "nobody writes them like they used to, so it might as well be
me".

That comes form the Oxford Dictionary of New Words. I was hoping to bore
everyone to death with a definition of "shoegazing" but it didn't make it,
I'm afraid. Trip Hop is there, though. Quite frankly, I think they don't
know what they're on about when it comes to groovy street language of the
guttersnipe.

Keith tries to distract us all from the pressing matter of Morrissey's
worth:

>    One thing right that's been on my mind recently - and has become a bit
>of a pub debate, which I'm wondering if you lot can help with. Do you
>remember in the 80's when everyone and his bloody aunt decided that Prince
>was a total Genius? Well, now were a good decade on from this time and we
>were  trying to work out whether or not he is... I can see he's knocked up
>some great songs, SIgn of the times and Alphabet Street standing out for
me,
>but genius, I dunno - throw enough mud at the wall, maybe... So what do you
>lot think? Prince - purple genius, or pint-sized twat.

Funny you should mention this, because I've been having a one man debate
about Prince as well, brought on by reading an article in Record Collector
about his outtakes. I haven't reached a conclusion yet, hampered no doubt by
not having anything to listen to. There are certainly lots of really good
Prince songs, too many to remember really...If I Was Your Girlfriend, the
aforementioned Alphabet Street, Sexy MF, Raspberry Beret...lots more, but my
brain's seized up. I used to think that the second single form each of his
albums was really good, but I can't remember why. Also, at the time I had no
idea where His Royal Purpleness was coming from, but now I can see the
influences a bit more. That film, Under the Cherry Moon, is really good,
really sexy. Boys and Girls, that's a good song. Taking all things into
consideration, I think Prince is better than Julian Cope, but I'm not
entirely sure. I think I need "Hits".

Is anybody still there?

Adrian; I wasn't really suggesting that your bird is a horse, more that you
are going out with a horse, or living with one or whatever. You know, a real
horse, not a bird who looks like a horse. It's a great joke, you just have
to think about it for a couple of days, to the exclusion of everything else.
Eventually it all becomes apparent. Trust me.

I would like to know more about Tomas Luis de Vitoria's "Missa
Defunctorum" - like where I can get it, you know, that kind of thing. I like
Gregorian Chants when there's birds as well as blokes, although I don't know
if that's strictly allowed.

Speaking of birds, Picasso's Garden of EARTHY (not earthLy) delights is a
little known engraving he did on the beach, not long after that famous photo
was taken, you know, the one where he's holding a brolly over his bird, to
keep the sun off her in case she gets sunburnt.

Well, I hope you all have a really good weekend. I'll be trying out my new
arab strap, which I made from a Coke can ringpull and a couple of those
thick elastic bands that postmen usually have.

B-bye now!

Peter

PS: Amanda, I take it your Dad's unsubscribed now then?

. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***