Sinister: Ouch!

James Errington james at xxx.com
Fri Jul 17 18:59:21 BST 1998

A poor excuse for a human being called Iain wrote

> 10 Crap but "credible" Scottish Bands
.....dangerous waters here....
>1. Bis - Dreadful shouty nonsense - like early Fuzzbox meets Blur bsides -
> this i might add, is not a good thing. Should be hung for their butchering of
> "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side"
....not that I've heard that one, but where I come from only people over seventy
could ever refer to music as 'dreadful shouty nonsense'. Hating Bis is too easy.
....and as if they have any 'credibility'!
> 2. Uresei Yatsura - Middle class Glaswegian tossers doing a very poor
> attempt at Pavement. Big tall guy annoys me as soon as i look at him. And
> anyone who calls a song Slain by Elf can forget it. I lasted 3 songs watching
> them at Sheffield last yeat.
Don't you find it pathetic how my fellow Britions have to resort to class when
they run out of arguments. How anyone can dislike the rush of 'Siamese' is
beyond me... And what kind of fool judges a band he's only seen 3 songs by.
I have seen 'urusei' twice - once they were wonderful, once they were not so
good. There you go.
> 3. Arab Strap - Rambling sub alcoholic mumbles over a tune that forgets its
> supposed to be listenable somewhere along the line. Hugely overrated.
....look, why don't you try for once to understand why people like Arab Strap -
It's not just to be cool y'know. the 'strap write songs that may be 'difficult' at
first, but which REALLY are worth it.
> 4. Idlewild - I saw these muppets supporting the mighty Gold Blade at King
> Tuts. Daft wee boys trying to frighten their mum and dad by shouting and
> jumping around a lot.
...Never seen them. But I cant say I trust your judgement now....
> 5. The Pastels - Steven Pastel is a lovely guy but purlleaseee, im no muso,
> but a little terchnical ability wouldnt go amiss - after all theyve been at it
> for long enough.
...you dont really get punk, do you Iain...
> 6. BMX Bandits - The kind of twee wank that students like for 6 months in
> first year at uni to show how dreadfully alternative they are. In reality,
> they are about as alternative as Hanson.
I cant say I'm a big fan myself, but the kind of fool who moans about "twee
wank that students like" on a B&S mailing list will get what he deserves.
> 7. The Secret Goldfish - Being fey and winsome is a good thing and i heartliy
> encourage it - these goons abuse the privelege. So sugary that after listening
> to them for 10 minutes all your teeth fall out and you become 20 stones ( well
> thats my excuse anyway)
....alright, you go and listen to 'Venus Bonding' again, and tell me it isn't the
greatest P!O!P! song you've ever heard....
> 8. The Delgados - See Uresei
.....as if! They are nothing like them! What next, "Take That, ah see Captain
Beefheart"....
> 9.  Mogwai - Like an even more irritating Sonic Youth - capable of being
> splendid when they actually remember to write a song, but in general its 20
> minutes doodling.
...look, give it a chance. Put the headphones on and the volume up to 10. You'll
see what all the fuss is about...
> 10.  Virtually anyone else on the Chemikal Underground label or who hangs
> arounf the 13th note
Well, isn't that pleasant of you. look, if you want to be mindlessly cynical Iain,
go apply for a job at the NME. I'm sure they'll welcome you with open arms.

So my list crush is on anyone else who's written a similar diatribe since the
last digest.

	The revolution starts here....   .
				WeeJay

WeeJay - Manipulating you illicitly since 1979
james at twopounds.u-net.com
. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***