Sinister: won't people understand?

Suzanne Schroeder suzsch at xxx.net
Sat Jul 18 00:33:19 BST 1998

> Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 22:58:08 +0100 (BST)
> From: Stuart Gardiner <skg21 at xxx.uk>
> Subject: Sinister: I love you all...
>
> On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Suzanne Schroeder wrote:
>
> > "If I had a million dollars I'd buy your love..."  It kept going on and
on
> > until I figured out "Hey, wait!  This is an actual song!"
> >
> > I cringed my way through the rest of it and later discovered it was the
> > Barenaked Ladies!  They're Canadian!
>
> Personally I quite like this song actually - although that's probably
just
> because it brings back memories of travelling over to Holland with a
> coach load of students for a korfball tournament, doing mass karaoke to
> it.
>
> "If I had a million dollars, I'd buy you a green dress;
>  But not a real green dress, that's cruel..."
>
> Music shouldn't be taken seriously all the time...

That's not my problem with the friggin song, people!  I own They Might Be
Giants' "Flood" and that cheese kicks the ass of this cheese.  I hate it.
right now, it's third on my music hate list:

1.  Matchbox 20's "I want to know what it's like to be the rainmaker" song

There are no words to describe how inane and shitty this song is.  I've
never telepathically sent death threats before to a song.   I hate it when
bands try to write crap lyrics like that trying to be incredibly deep when
they don't even know what in the hell they are talking about.  go ahead!
Do it!  Ask them the next time what they mean by "I wonder what it's like
to be the rainmaker/ I wonder what it's like to make the rain" and they'll
stare at their shoes a while and look over at their manager for help.  The
music is incredibly plodding.  Go make Coca Cola Gen-X jingles, you losers!

2.  Semisonic's "closing Time"

"I know who I want to take me home" repeated over and over again.  then,
over and over again.  Only to be rewarded with the stupid end all "Go back
to the places you will be from"  Who in the hell wrote that?  Yoda?  "Go
home he will, yes?  Luke,  closing time has come and father will come, he
will...."

3.  Barenaked Ladies "If I had a million dollars."

It sounds like a commercial jingle and any song that sounds like a
commercial jingle must be killed.  It has created the greatest offense to
us all by not bothering to distinguish itself from crap music old men in
suits playing golf in their offices and thinking all 10 year olds
skateboard, wear a walkman 24 hours a day, and say that everything is
"Radical!"  imagine the 18-34 age bracket identify with and would happily
use in their next cat litter campaign!  It's even worse that they sound
exactly like studio singers you can hire and not credit on any given
release.

> I also think "The Boy With The Arab Strap" is a great name for the album,
> if only because it will confuse all the music journos who insist on
> writing about B&S as these twee, innocent, mother-loving types all the
> time...

They aren't pulling people's ying yang with that title, are they?  For them
to be obviously ripping off a band's name like that is a bit.....obvious..

. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***