Sinister: I'll play my "La la" shit for you anytime

Mick McMick mick at xxx.com
Sat Jul 18 05:37:14 BST 1998

Reid Dossinger wrote:
> Then the next question is "Is it a tribute to the now-defunct D.C. band
> of the same name?  Or at least about them?"  Velocity Girl, to this day,
> is the best opening band I've ever seen (in 1993, opening for Belly).

	I wrote Katrina with the same question in mind, after she told me it
was an original. I'd say, 9 chances out of 10 say it's about the band.
After all, who would write a song about a song, and give the tribute
song the same title as the original? What's more, I consider myself a
huge Velocity Girl fan. I've got just about everything they ever
released, and even a video of one of their last performances. My first
ever mailing list was the Velocity Girl mailing list, and it was there
that I first heard about a band called the Field Mice. Anyway the point
is that I adore the band, and it was several years before I found out
they'd named themselves after a brilliant Primal Scream song. Of course,
Salako being from the UK & all, might have had more of a chance of
having the C86 tape, and they'd have a bigger chance of having heard
Velocity Girl. Personally I'd rather not know, I want to find out when
the album comes out. Some of you Americans *BETTER* put some Salako on
those tape trees, or you'll go straight to hipster H-E double hockey
sticks! Now that I mention that someone might want to put some Snow
Patrol on theirs as well. Pretty please. With a cherry on top. Drenched
in cherry Coke. And not the kind that comes in cans, the real cherry
Coke with Coke and cherry syrup. I had a great one today...but I should
digress...

Jessica M e-scribbles:
> In any case, their 1996 album "Gilded Stars and Zealous Hearts" is
> definitely worth a listen.

	Worth several listens. I would say that Simpatico is worth a lifetime
of listens! At least as many as IYFS, in my book. US listees should
expect a Velocity Girl song from me on your mixtapes. I'll probably pick
something obscure, sure, but I'll put something on there. Maybe that
wonderful Beat Happening cover they did...
I wish I had a decent copy of "Velocity Girl" to tape, but mine's on a
mixtape. I'll put something by the Primals on there. Definately
something not recent too, as I don't much care for anything they've done
recently.
	Excuse me? Did you say this was the *Belle & Sebastian* list? Oh
dear... I've gone and done it now.

	Hoping no one opens a can of whoopass in his general direction,

 /"\_/"\_/"\    Mick McMick - mick at indiepop.com - ICQ#5056758
 \         /    Sandcastle Records - sandcastlerecords at indiepop.com
  |       |     Sandcastle Homepage - http://indiepop.com/sandcastle/
  |       |
  |       |     "Everyone has their own cup of tea.
  |       |          Some just happen to like a lot of sugar in it!"
  |       |               - Me!
. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***