Sinister: People won't accept....

Suzanne Schroeder suzsch at xxx.net
Sat Jul 18 06:37:33 BST 1998

> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:46:46 -0700
> From: "Lamba, Sanjeet " <SLamba at xxx.COM>
> Subject: RE: Sinister: won't people understand?
>
> I don't know who went off about Semisonic and BareNaked Ladies and
Matchbox
> 20 because the replies and previous messages made it confusing, but
whoever
> you are, you seem a bit high strung. I mean, I happen to agree with you
on
> all three of those songs, but so what? If I don't like it, I don't listen
> it. And if someone else does like it, fine with me. I'm not out to
convert
> them like some musical crusader. Just figure that plenty of folks out
there
> would listen to B&S and call it overly sensitive or not grand enough in
its
> messages (trust me, lots of Bob Dylan fans might think this). Who cares
what
> they think? That's why there's lists like this.

What's the matter with being imbittered at songs that take 4 minutes out of
your life?  Look.  I had just come back from a boring day at work and that
was all I found on the dial when I was stuck in traffic.  also, this is
pretty much an off-topic discussion, so I don't see your problem with me
putting it here.  Do I need a story about a Newt or my favorite Dostoevsky
novel to comply?

> Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 02:20:10 +0100
> From: Ian Turton <buffalo at xxx.uk>
> Subject: Re: Sinister: won't people understand?
> This whole discussion can be put down to initial exposure to the group,
me
> thinks. My first BNL tune was the splendidly wry and heartfelt 'Brian
Wilson'
> thus;
> - ----------
> Drove downtown in the rain, 9:30 on a Tuesday night
> Just to check out the late night record shop
> Call it impulsive, call it compulsive, call it insane
> But when I'm surrounded I just can't stop
>
> It's a matter of instinct, it's a matter of conditioning, a matter of
fact
> You can call me Pavlov's dog
> Ring a bell and I'll salivate, well how'd you like that
> Dr. Landy tell me you're not just a pedagogue, 'cause right now I'm
>
> Lying in bed just like Brian Wilson did
> - ----------
>
> It's shit, but it rhymes with 'it'. I love 'it'. Guess what I'm saying is
heard
> this tune, kinda grew on me like a big plukey spot. From then on, I was
*on
> their side*.

Oh, so this is like the movie Pod People?  Am I going to find a huge
caccoon in the living room growing my replicant to replace me so I will be
on "their" side?  Damn.  I'm not sleeping tonight, then.

It's not a lyrical thing.  I rarely listen to a song because the lyrics say
anything to me.  I go for the sound first off.  I rarely hate songs from
the first, too.  I'm just sort of mediocre state most of the time, and
sometimes it hooks me right from the split second like B&S.  The Semisonic
song and Matchbox 20 pissed me off from the start, and let me tell you
something......I only claim that once every 2 years, and its weird that I
have 3 songs that are on my search and destroy list in such a short period
of time.

> Lenny Kravitz, initial exposure not withstanding, can just fucking die.
> Seriously. I will kick him in the nuts.

My top 10 list of artists who should give it up and go home:

1. Boyzone
2.  Rod Stewart
3.  Bryan Adams
4.  Sting
5.  goo Goo Dolls
6. Bon Jovi
7.  Matchbox 20
8. Any band who has appeared on the Jenny Jones show
9.  Ace of Base
10.  Verve Pipe

Top 10 bands people delude themselves into thinking they have a chance of
reforming or recapturing the old days:

1.  The smiths
2.  The Beatles
3.  Rolling Stones
4.  Van Halen with David Lee Roth
5.  The Eagles
6.  Culture Club
7.  Lou Reed and Velver Underground
8.  Stone Roses
9.  Bob Dylan
10.  Simply Red (only bottom of the list because Mike Hucknall is the only
person who cared).

. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***