Sinister: Sinister Re:Ouch!

James Errington james at xxx.com
Sat Jul 18 19:27:15 BST 1998

A boy surely nice at heart, but polluted by some unknown evil wrote:

> 1. Bis - Im actually a big fan of shouting in pop - but only where it has some
> kind of emotional resonance. I dont think this applies in songs by band whose
> major emotional traumas appear to be when John Smiths run out of that Jad
> Fair compilation that John Disco has been desperately seeking.
If you cant understand them now, maybe you never will - but I like the sugar
rush.
> 2. Uresei - Ive been unfortunate enough to see Uresei more than once - I first
> saw them on some showcase thing with the Delgados and The Secret
> Goldfish a few years back ( and what a thrilling night that was). I then had
> the misfortune to see them supporting Pavement in Newcastle. The Sheffield
> thing i only went to see Prolapse. i hung around , like the open minded chap
> i am, to see if they had improved any.
> They hadn't.
Look, I dont like the tindersticks. at all. But nobody cares, so I dont go on
about it.
> Oh and if you dont think class is important in pop, after the likes of Crispin
> Mills, i think you're very much mistaken.
Look, Crispin may be a right wing mysoginyst with stupid 'mystical' theories,
but this is not because he is upper class, but because he is a twat. Sorry to
point this out, but deciding a social group is absolutely incapable of art is, in
a quite literal way, fascist.
> 3. Arab Strap. Oh but i have tried to understand. And im  not against
> "difficult" music. Just bad music.
Arab strap are the Yin to B&S's Yang (or vice versa). 'Deeper' is the most
unspeakably sad song I've ever heard.
> 4.Idlewild . Beleive me, its all true.
My friend Adam took his posh girlfriend Charlieto see Idlewild, and they scared
her. That's more than enough for me.
> 5. Punk - Im one of those misguided souls who thinks punk died circa 1977. I
> shudder to think what your average punk audience would have made of poor
> wee Steven.
Died 1977? Hmmn... my point is made.
> 6. BMX Bandits - You may classify Belle and Sebastian as twee wank for
> students , but i certainly don't.
Yeah, twist my words why dont you.....
> 7. Secret Goldfish  - I did - it isnt . I think that belongs to lazy Line
> painter jane , by some twee student band or other.
ooooh, handbags at ten paces. Well, I like it and I dont care.
> 8. The Delagados - The first time ive heard them mentioned in the same
> sentence as Captain beefheart, and hopefully the last.
Who rattled your cage?
> 9. Mogwai - Didnt i say they can be excellent?
No.
> 10. Work for the NME? me? After all the death threats i wrote over the last
> Morrissey review? - perhaps not.
don't you know - death threats are the standard applications to the NME now
darling. Don't tell me you were unaware of this....?

		Ranting on forever,
				WeeJay XXX

WeeJay - Manipulating you illicitly since 1979
james at twopounds.u-net.com
. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***